Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Walk The Line  (Read 4083 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Walk The Line
« on: September 25, 2006, 00:41 »
Country and Western music is not my scene.  Nevertheless, I watched "Walk The Line" on DVD last night, a biopic of Johnny Cash and June Carter which it's claimed is based on Cash's autobiographies.  Joaquin Phoenix and Reece Witherspoon play Cash and Carter, giving first rate performances.  They both sound very similar to the original artists and whilst they do mime to some tracks, it's difficult to tell.  But it's not just the singing that impresses; these are two quality actors at the top of their form.  

The story isn't a mere homage to Cash and Carter.  The script is certainly taut enough to keep a non-C&W music lover watching as Cash moved away from his oppressive parents and broke into showbiz, only to find himself struggling to cope with the pressures of life on tour.  Most of the music featured in the film was the boppier stuff he played alongside the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley.  It would have been interesting if the film had focussed more deeply on his social campaign songs such as Ira Hayes, and sought to explain why he identified so strongly with the underclasses of American society.  Sadly, it just nodded towards this with an acknowledgment of Folsom Prison.

Overall, I rate this movie very highly.  It's not without fault but its shortcomings are such that you don't notice them while the story zips along and you are engaged by the stunning performances of Phoenix and Witherspoon.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Walk The Line
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 01:46 »
I saw it a few weeks ago Gill and thought that the singing was a very good impression of the original.
I didnt notice any miming but I could have missed it.
The duets were brilliant, if they werent mimed, as they sounded to me exactly like the originals.
I enjoyed it, even more so as I watched it for free on a foreign satellite channel with no adverts  :)

I thought that the guy who played Ray Charles in Ray looked and sounded very good too  :)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Walk The Line
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 01:53 »
Sorry to disagree.  I didn't enjoy the movie at all.

Joaqin Phoenix is one of my favourite actors but I didn't like his performance in this movie.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Walk The Line
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 16:32 »
Thought this is one of the best films I had seen for yonks.. Reece Witherspoon  :tongue:  was brilliant as June Carter and on the back of this film went straight onto ebay and bought 5 cds of Johny Cash.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Walk The Line
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 17:39 »
Quote from: "Lona"

See Lona, I warned you that watching all those soaps and reality shows would make you unable to distinguish the good stuff from the bad stuff.

Corrie and Eastenders and such crap programmes should carry a government health warning stating that they will damage your brain if you watch more than one episode a month :roll:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Walk The Line
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 22:53 »
Quote from: "Sandra"

See Lona, I warned you that watching all those soaps and reality shows would make you unable to distinguish the good stuff from the bad stuff.

Corrie and Eastenders and such crap programmes should carry a government health warning stating that they will damage your brain if you watch more than one episode a month :roll:

It's nice to differ from all the lemmings who thought this picture was good.

Try compairing it to the Glen Miller story, now there was a picture that was a true great.

Incidently, I don't watch Eastenders.  And don't knock Corrie when you never watch it.  :bartmoon:

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Walk The Line
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 01:26 »
Someone sounds like a soldier on a parade ground insisting that she's in step and everyone else is out of step.

:P

I'm wondering if Lona's memory of what really happened in Johnny Cash's life might be tinting her judgement of the film with a dash of reality.  After all, she probably remembers what it was like to dance to Cash et al as they stormed the charts, whilst the rest of us just have images evoked from our (grand)parents' LPs.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Walk The Line
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 01:45 »
Quote from: "GillD"

I'm wondering if Lona's memory of what really happened in Johnny Cash's life might be tinting her judgement of the film with a dash of reality.

I think her judgement is merlot impared at times  :wink:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Walk The Line
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 01:46 »
Someone sounds like a soldier on a parade ground insisting that she's in step and everyone else is out of step.

Always have been, Gill.  It's what is called individuality. :wahh:  :splat:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Walk The Line
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:26 »
THIS is why Lona has such a huge smile on her face!   :laugh:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Walk The Line
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:29 »
:haha:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Walk The Line
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 23:32 »
How can someone call people lemmings when they watch a program called Corrie  :roll:  

:roll:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Walk The Line
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 23:45 »
Quote from: "TR"
How can someone call people lemmings when they watch a program called Corrie  :roll:  

:roll:

One man said the world was round and everybody else said it was flat.

Who was right, all the lemmings or the man. :?:  :?:  :?:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Walk The Line
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 00:18 »

He wasnt scottish though and I bet he didnt watch corrie either :wink:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Walk The Line
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 00:31 »
Quote from: "Sandra"

He wasnt scottish though and I bet he didnt watch corrie either :wink:

How do you know?  He could have been one of my ancestors.  :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum