Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Internet, but no telephone!  (Read 948 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Internet, but no telephone!
« on: September 27, 2006, 18:46 »
This is a new one on me.  We often hear about people mysteriously losing their broadband connection, it's happened to me.  However, I currently have broadband but no telephone access!

I rarely use the phone as it is, but yesterday I picked up the receiver to phone my brother and it was dead, no dial tone or anything.  I tried plugging another telephone in, but still dead.  This was in spite of me being connected to broadband at the time!  I then spent a hour unplugging this, that and the other, all to no avail.  I then rang the home number with my mobile.  It was ringing according to the mobile, but there wasn't any life at all in the BT phone.

I went to the end of the street and using the public telephone I spoke to BT.  They claim it is a problem at the exchange and should be fixed by the 29th of September.

I am no telephone engineer, but it seems a little odd that I can use the internet but not make a phone call on the same line.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 19:59 »
It's probably to do with the fact that the line is split for broadband.  I think this creates two almost separate elements of the line.  If you had still been using a 56K dial up modem, it probably wouldn't have worked.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 13:44 »
Well, I've got my telephone back.

According to the engineer, it was a fault on the line between the exchange and the green box at the end of my street.  Water had got into the line and caused some corrosion, a regular fault.  As the exchange is only 120 yards from here, and the box 30 yards, a grand distance of 90 yards from each other, I pity those people who have a distance of several miles between the exchange and box because god knows how much leaky areas they have to contend with.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 15:04 »
You're lucky to have got an engineer out.  When I moved house last year, I wanted to bring my existing phone number with me, which should have been no problem at all.  However, I found that my line wasn't working from the day I moved in, and it took about 5 phone calls over a period of 3 days, to convince them it wasn't a problem with my phone, which worked fine at the old address.  They were threatening me with a £56 call out charge if the engineer came out and found the problem was my equipment, so I asked them what they were going to pay me in compensation if the fault was theirs, and whether they would cover my mobile phone costs while I couldn't use my landline, not to mention the trauma of not being able to use my PC!  Of course, the person in New Dheli I was talking to, then pretended she was not understanding me.  I eventually got a grand gesture of £4 towards my mobile phone bill.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 09:46 »
Exactly the same thing happened to me a few years back Dave.  I too managed to get an engineer out who then reconnected the telephone lines to the wrong houses!  I'm currently suffering an intermittent fault myself.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum