Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: How to install red hat linux 8  (Read 1825 times)

Offline roaddogg

How to install red hat linux 8
« on: February 09, 2003, 00:38 »
hi everybody
trying out linux
and i cant figure out how to install it ???
it wont run on windows  :-
so i'm thinking of installing it from the command prompt,just does anyone know whats the command to make it work ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:How to install red hat linux 8
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 01:48 »
Looks like it definitely needs to be on a dual boot setup.

Look HERE

To install Linux on your Hard Disk, you have to create what is called a Partition, or area, for Linux to reside. Windows uses one type of sector on your Hard Disk, called FAT, which it uses to access all files and run programs. Linux uses something completly different (ext2), so we need to cut the two off from each other, that way, 2 operating systems can reside on just one hard disk.

Once that is done, it is necessary to create a startup disk. Just as if you would use a startup disk to access windows in case of a crash, a Linux startup disk will boot your computer in the Linux OS, albiet a very limited version of it. The startup disk also contains info on accessing your CD-ROM drive, and the complete install program.

While installing the software, you will need to tell the computer what part of the Hard Disk to install on, this will then allow you to select the partition you made earlier. The install program will then format just that part of the disk for Linux, and continue to write onto that section. After the installation has completed, you will be asked to create a password for the root user. I go into this in detail later in the install process file.

The only other thing to do after installing the Operating System, is to tell the Xwindows system, (Thats the program that looks a bit like Windows 95), what kind of Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor and Graphics Card you have. It needs this information, just like Windows 95 need driver files, so that it can talk to the hardware, and work smoothly in completing your tasks.

Have you got a spare partition? If you havent then you will need somthing like Partition Magic to create one without losing data or if you are happy to start over again you could format your drive and create a seperate partition for the Linux system.

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 10:05 »
Sandra has it all covered.

I would suggest that the dual boot is the way to go.

If you get Partition Magic, then with that is a Boot manager that may be useful. Also if you are using XP, then you need Partition Magic version7 or later.
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Adept

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2003, 10:40 »
Linux has it's own boot mananger called LILO which will handle the dual-boot loading process quite nicely.

Most Linux distrubutions also include a partition resizing utility, the name of which escapes me at the moment :-[

Saying that, I would prefer the familiarity of the PartitionMagic interface any day :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum