Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: windows xp pro or not  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
windows xp pro or not
« on: February 16, 2003, 20:03 »
Hi...

I have been considering upgrading from win98se to win xp pro....

I have athlon1.4, 256 ddr ram 40 gb hard drive...

Can any of you share your advice and experiences with the upgrade...

thanks for any help... ;D ;D ;D

Adept

Re:windows xp pro or not
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 20:15 »
First of all camstop, don't upgade :o

Let me clarify that :) If you are going to change operating system from Windows 98SE to Windows XP, don't use the upgrade facility built-in to XP, you'll only regret it later.

In-place upgrading can often cause instabilities, as you are often upgrading over existing problems (whether you know you have them or not).

The best way to install XP is a clean install. You will need to backup your data first (at least twice!) Then wipe the drive and install XP.

Another way, if you have the cash is to buy a new hard drive and install XP on that, leaving your original drive intact so that you can drag your data off it at your leisure.

There's probably loads of other things I've forgotten, but I'll let the others fill in the gaps ;) :)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2003, 20:22 »
Hi adept...

yes i would do a clean install..

Just now i have my hard drive partitioned with f-disk. Do i have to format both c and d drives or can i do it all at once.

Adept

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 20:56 »
Forget about fdisk :) If you boot off the XP installation disk, you will be able to partition the drives from the setup program. It's much easier than fdisk.

As to how you partition them, there are several schools of thought ::)

Some people will tell you to put one 40Gig partition on the drive, others will tell you to put two partitions on, one for O/S and programs and the other for data.

You can read up further here

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 12:50 »
You can also have a look at this

I posted this link regarding Dual booting, but if you look elsewhere on this site, you will find a wonderful step by step guide on clean installing XP (Home or Pro versions)

Take the time to read these articles .. this guy (Black Viper) knows XP 8)
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum