Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: MPEG4  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
MPEG4
« on: November 24, 2006, 21:04 »
Anyone know much about MPEG4?

I know a fair bit about movies, and codecs etc, but always get stumped with MPEG4. Is there a way to burn to DVD or CD, so that it plays without having to encode it? With AVI, I just burn as data, and my DVD Player plays it.

My DVD Player says it will play MPEG4, but it never does. I always have to convert to AVI, first!

???
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: MPEG4
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 00:06 »
Mpeg 4 is a format that includes Xvid, Divx and others, plus the new HD variants including H264.
They are all AVI (Audio/Video/Interface).

If your particular DVD player has Divx codecs and Xvid codecs, most Mpeg 4 ones do usually, then it should be able to play them back if you just burn an Xvid or Divx as data.

I used to burn all my mpeg 1, 2 and 4 films as data for my Yamada and only had problems when newer versions of the codecs came out that the player didnt support.

It may be that if you are burning films with the latest codecs then your player wont recognise them so you need to convert to a different format that it can decode.
Have you looked to see if there is a firmware update for your DVD player as that may allow it to play the later codecs.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Re: MPEG4
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 20:33 »
Thanks Sandra-I will investigate further.

:P
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum