Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ISDN to USB or not to USB that is the question  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
ISDN to USB or not to USB that is the question
« on: February 18, 2003, 12:40 »
I have experienced intermittent trouble with my ISDN, BT guy thinks its exchange related or a possibly a software problem their end. However as part of a process of elimination he has replaced my ISDN connection box.

But what I?m really posting for is this;
In the course of conversation he reckoned connecting to the web via the USB port on the ISDN Box in his experience loaded the pages faster than via the ISDN card in his PC, which incidentally in his case is a BT Speedway card. Anybody got a view regarding his comments on this issue?  ???
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Adept

Re:ISDN to USB or not to USB that is the question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 12:58 »
I would have thought it would be the other way around Tony.

All I know for sure is that the gamers on ISDN prefer a PCI card rather than Highway's USB port because it gets them lower "ping" times.

The BT Speedway is not supposed to be a very good ISDN card in the first place, although I have to admit I didn't see any difference between the Speedway card I used to have and the Eicon Diva Pro that I use now.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 13:45 »
Cheers Adept,

yes that was my take on the issue, that's why I questioned it here on the board. I believe he was offering good advice based on his own personal experience using a BT Speedway card.

If/when I load the BT software I'll do some ping tests to compare the USB / ISDN card [Billion] readings.

Thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 17:46 »
You should get BB Tony that would be even better  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry,couldnt resist  ;)   :-* :-* :-*

Adept

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 19:58 »
:troll: alert

Stay back Tony! Don't do it - she's not worth it ;D ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 14:05 »
:go: I know where you live..........and I've got a 20 mile extension cable, so be very afraid  :-*

Offline Hitch

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2003, 19:19 »
Ive alwasy used an internal speedway and find them the best cards in the 15 - 50 range easily, my speeds (unless numbers having s**t) are alwasy in the 15k bracket and sometime above (despite the theoretic impossihbilty)

As for any pci v's usb, pci every time. If this guy really cnat get his card to outperform a usb connection then he is doing something wrong or his card is bust.

USB in general surfing is about 1.5k a sec slower than a TA, in streaming its about 2k lower and for gaming pings it adds about 50+
This is General knowledge to any BT tech selling HH to the public.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2003, 23:51 »
Cheers Hitch, I'll stick with my internal.

Offline DPJ

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 19:55 »
Hi all!

I guess from what's been said in this thread that USB ISDN is not a well discussed topic. Hope you don't mind me posting my prob in hope that someone has an idea for me!

I had ISDN installed yesterday.... I wasn't expecting it - I thought they were only doing a survey!

I have to say it was primarily as I needed a second phone line as mobile signals non existent at home.

Anyway, I was left a USB lead and BT's CD - so I thought - might as well sample the delights of 64k access.....

BT's CD installation managed to wipe several key Windows files (Windows 98se) and then didn't install the correct ISDN USB drivers. So several hours of replacing files, installs and uninstalls on my laptop - later - I finally get a proper installation.

I managed 1 short session at 64k yesterday... Half of the time otherwise, I got a connection and then a few seconds later, my laptop completely locked up. The rest of the time (probably because of the lockups) I couldn't get a connection because it was saying both my ISDN B channels were busy. Pulling the USB lead out of the HH box reset this most of the time.

My laptop rarely locks up. I use 2 USB printers a lot without probs and a USB camera.

I've given up for now as I think BT's USB ISDN drivers might be incompatible with something else.

Please - if anyone has any suggestions here I'd be extremely grateful!
img]http://www.dpj.uk2k.com/images/Daffy_leaning.gif[/img]

Adept

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2003, 22:20 »

I think BT's USB ISDN drivers might be incompatible with something else.

I think you are right DPJ. Unfortunately I've never tried the USB connection on my Hightway box out so I can't be more help than that :(

I believe there are drivers for the USB connection on BT's website. Maybe they are more up-to-date than the ones you have installed.

Offline DPJ

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2003, 09:06 »
Cheers, Sean.   I'll go and have a look. :)
img]http://www.dpj.uk2k.com/images/Daffy_leaning.gif[/img]

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum