Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Non-Microsoft OS Options  (Read 1509 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Non-Microsoft OS Options
« on: January 02, 2007, 21:36 »
The more I hear about the new Vista operating system, the more concerned I am that I won't be able to use my computer the way I want to if I accept the M$ way forward.  This will mean learning how to use an alternative operating system.  An unwanted elderly laptop might become available to me in the very near future and I'm thinking of using it to install a non-Microsoft OS, such as Linux, and learning how to use it.

What would be a good, user-friendly and easy-to-install OS for an elderly laptop in the hands of an open source dummy?

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Non-Microsoft OS Options
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 00:24 »
Did you not like that Puppy Linux Gill ?

There are updated versions out now and Scrumpy Jack seems to think its quite good and he always runs old slow pcs with little ram and smal hard drives.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Non-Microsoft OS Options
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 01:16 »
the easest to install and use is ubuntu... well thats my opinion.. you can run it off a cd and the installation is a doddle. http://www.ubuntu.com/

Obviously I can offer more solutions if you have a particular task in mind... or hardware considerations
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum