Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: hyperlink problem  (Read 4450 times)

Offline lindasobers

hyperlink problem
« on: February 22, 2003, 15:30 »
Hi, I need help! For the last week, I can not get into a hyperlink ie if I go to google and type in a search, I can click on the link but it just stays in the waiting stage. Same with an e-mail. If there is a hyperlink in an e-mail, I click on it and it just stays in the waiting stage. I have an emachine using windows 98 internet explorer, a cable moden with a d-link router to one computer. Thanks!! Linda

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:hyperlink problem
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 15:38 »
Hi Linda and welcome to the forum.
The first thing that comes to mind is.Are you using a popup killer at all? Mine stops links working if it is set to "aggresive mode" as it thinks the opening page is a popup,by overriding it or disabling it that may allow them to work  :)

Offline lindasobers

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 15:48 »
Hi Sandra, Thanks for the fast reply. Please, if you would, could you walk me through it? I am not very good at computers...yet. Thanks, Linda

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 16:09 »
Are you using an Ad-killer of any kind, Linda?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 16:19 »
Ok Linda,do you use a popup killer? If you have one it should have an icon in the taskbar at the bottom right hand side of your screen near to the clock.If you right click on the icon it should give you the option to disable it.Try that and see if the links work ok.If they do then all you have to do is disable it when you want to use a link and then enable it again by right clicking on the icon and enabling it again.Some have a temporary disable by just pressing the shift key as you click on the link but without knowing which one you use,(if indeed you have one),I am not sure how yours works.They all will disable though by right clicking on the icon and selecting disable.
If you arent using a popup killer then you will possibly have to turn off JAVA but I will assume its a popup killer for now and use that option later if you havent got a popup killer on  :-*

Adept

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 16:36 »
Hi Linda :welcome:. I hope we can solve your problem for you :)

When you say you can Google; do you mean that you can enter the keywords for the search OK, but when you try to click on one of the links that Google provides, they don't bring up the new page?

If that's the case then I would think it is a problem with Internet Explorer, in which case you will find this Microsoft Knowledgebase article handy :)

If you need any further help at all, please let us know ;)

Offline lindasobers

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 17:36 »
Hi again,
You are all so patient! Ok, I am not sure if someone (my son!)put a pop up killer on my computer. So, across the right hand side of the task bar is task scheduler, volume, something called ATI (which I am not sure what it is)the itouch icon which I think is for my new keyboard installed at x-mas time, my IM icon and the clock.
When I put a search subject in google, it connects and gives me choices to search. When I click on one of them, it goes into the waiting to connect mode and no futher. Same with paying my bills on line. It will let me go so far and when it trys to connect, it goes to waiting.
Also, Adept, the link you sent for me to go to Microsoft Knowledgebase article would not connect either.
Thanks, Linda

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 17:49 »
It doesnt sound like it has a popup killer from what you have described Linda  :(
One way to tell for sure would be to go to Start,Find Files or Folders,and type POPUP and search My Computer.That will tell you if you have anything called popup stopper or popup killer on your PC.
The link Adept mentined was for reinstalling IE in case it has got corrupted.
Copy and paste this in your address bar to be able to see it  :-*

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258893

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2003, 18:09 »
For your information the ATI icon will be for the controller software for your Graphics Card.

You could try clicking on Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information

Then click on Tools on the task bar at the top of the window. On the pull down menu, you will find "Internet Explorer Repair Tool" ... click on this and give it a try. You will probably have to reboot afterwards
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline lindasobers

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2003, 19:17 »
Hi, I took BAT 69's advice and did the Internet Explorer repair tool. That did not work. I went to files and folders and I saw a lot of files for popup but I am not sure if I can delete them.
Thanks! Linda

Adept

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2003, 20:02 »
I saw a lot of files for popup but I am not sure if I can delete them.

I wouldn't unless you know what they are Linda ;)

The correct way to remove a program is to go to the Control Panel and click the Add/Remove Programs icon. This will list all the programs you have installed which can be removed.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2003, 23:40 »
It sounds as if you may have a popup killer or stopper after all but if its not in the taskbar it shouldnt be running unless its been set up to not show there.
Go to Start,Programs and look down the list for one called popup stopper or popup killer and click on it if it is there.
At least that way you should be able to disable it or find out how to override it if you look in the help section of the program.
You shouldnt have to remove it completely but if you are still having problems do as Adept suggests and go to Control Panel,Add/Remove and look down the list for popup killer or stopper.Highlight it and then click on Add/Remove.
I hope this sorts your problem out.

Adept someone said disabling JAVA may help,do you think that could be it?

Offline lindasobers

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2003, 01:00 »
Hi,
Well, I tried everything you all suggested. There is no popup killer or popup stopper in the add/ remove. My daughter reinstalled IE a few days ago thinking that may have been the problem. I did the IE repair tool. I was thinking maybe I have too much running on my computer? When I do ctl/alt/delete it shows a lot of things running. One of them is rundl which has always bugged me. I am really confused!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2003, 01:22 »
Ok lets see if we can see if JAVA is enabled and disable that.
Go to Tools(in toolbar at top of IE),Internet Options,Advanced.Scroll through the list and untick the JAVA ones if ticked and see if that does it  :-*

ps. the rundll is a windows system file and is always there.

Offline lindasobers

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2003, 02:14 »
Hi Sandra,
I unticked the one Java that was checked off. No luck!! I am giving up for today. I will be back on Monday. Until then, thank you all for your help. Linda

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum