Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Great Global Warming Swindle  (Read 9234 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: The Great Global Warming Swindle
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2007, 00:18 »

propaganda by chevron, who you would expect to champion the technology

I think the key here is the relation to California.. if you put it in a lab with properly clean air (ie. stuff you would get away from the city and industry) then I bet they won't be able to make the same claim.

I dont think that a big oil company dare come out with a statement like that if they couldnt back it up, all the environmental nutters would tear them to bits immediately.

What I posted earlier was in reference to LA, which is in California Sam.

Even in less polluted cities and countries, new technologies such as lean burn petrol engines and variable valve timing in cars are lowering the harmful emmissions to a point where I think we can say they are not going to be contributory factors to pollution in anywhere near the extent that diesel engines which propel most public transport and goods vehicles do.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2007, 10:14 »
Even in less polluted cities and countries, new technologies such as lean burn petrol engines and variable valve timing in cars are lowering the harmful emmissions to a point where I think we can say they are not going to be contributory factors to pollution in anywhere near the extent that diesel engines which propel most public transport and goods vehicles do.

which is good... but wait a minute weren't you early saying that it doesn't matter anyway? Seems like this can be used as an arguement against using public transport instead when I mention it... but it doesn't matter anyway, right?

I think investing in new tech for cars is great but whatif we did the same to make public transport cleaner? I agree that cars are needed, but my feeling will always be that most daily journeys are either one for the legs or a short hop away on public transport (in the cities this is).
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2007, 12:39 »
which is good... but wait a minute weren't you early saying that it doesn't matter anyway? Seems like this can be used as an arguement against using public transport instead when I mention it... but it doesn't matter anyway, right?

I never said that pollution doesnt matter Sam, or that cars dont pollute, I said that I dont believe that cars and man are affecting the climate in a way that causes global warming.
This is why theres been such an interest by engine manufacturers to develop cleaner and more fuel efficient engines.

I dont remember reading about cars driving around London in Victorian times when we used to have those killer fogs and smogs on a regular basis, maybe if theyd had cars back then using todays technology they would have been doing as they now do in LA and would have improved the air quality.

If I lived within 10 minutes walk of a supermarket then I would probably walk there on a daily basis but as I dont then I have to use my car so that I can get a few days supplies of food at a time so that I dont make as many journeys.
This is because of the cost of the petrol more than the environmental issues on my part.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum