Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Converting Avi files to play on standard DVD player... Help  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Alexgt40

Hi all,

Just a general query this time.

My old man is having issues with converting various video files and placing them on a CD/DVD so he can watch them on his TV (his screen is rubbish but he wont listen). Which software would you guys recommend to perform the task easily. Also, am I right in think that to play on a ordinary DVD player, it needs to be in VOB format etc??

Regards, Alex ^^

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Converting Avi files to play on standard DVD player... Help
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 13:14 »
It depends on the type of DVD player, most will now play VCD and SVCD, some will play Mpeg 4 such as Xvid and Divx.

The best converters seem to be WinAvi and Total Video Converter, unfortunately neither are free.

Offline Alexgt40

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 13:17 »
So both of these programs will simply convert video files to different formats? What if the DVd player is old? I can't check atm because they live in NZ, but how would he convert to a DVD format?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 13:46 »
Both will convert most file types to a standard DVD format (Vob, Bup and Inf), which even the oldest DVD player will play.
They will be region free as well so theres no problem if he sends some to you or vice versa.

Offline Alexgt40

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 13:47 »
Awesome, thanx Sandra, I've just been reading Simon's previous topic on AVI > DVD and yours and everyone elses comments have given me the advice I need to pass on to him.

Thanks again ^^

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 13:56 »
I was just about to reply, but Sandra beat me to it, with the same answer.  Now I know how to use it, I find WinAVI to be very easy and reliable.  The only thing I would say is, some older DVD players won't play re-writable DVDs, so he may have to use 'write once' discs.  He should be able to see what formats the player will accept, from the instruction manual.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Alexgt40

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 14:17 »
I managed to find an old version of WinAVI (6.3) which everyone says is the most reliable and looks simple enough for even my dad to use, I'll keep you updated..

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum