Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Another boot problem  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Another boot problem
« on: August 22, 2007, 23:31 »
Another friend, not the one who wants the laptop, is having trouble booting up his PC.  He keeps getting the Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press ENTER error message, but after rebooting several times, it usually fires up.  He had the same problem about 18 months ago, and replaced a hard drive cable, which seemed to do the trick, but now it's acting up again.  Could it simply be a cable again, or could it be an indication of imminent hard drive failure?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Another boot problem
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 00:21 »
I sometimes think that modern pcs boot up so quickly that they sometimes misread the MBR.

The first thing I would try is to boot off the XP CD and use the recovery console.
At the C: prompt type FIXMBR or FIXBOOT then press enter and see if that sorts it.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 00:44 »
Sounds like classic hd failure to me. Try replacing the MBR like sandra says, and maybe he'll get lucky and you won't have to replace it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 10:45 »
I sometimes think that modern pcs boot up so quickly that they sometimes misread the MBR.

The first thing I would try is to boot off the XP CD and use the recovery console.
At the C: prompt type FIXMBR or FIXBOOT then press enter and see if that sorts it.

Thanks Sandra, he doesn't have the patience or knowledge for that, so I will have to do it for him.  :o  Hopefully I will see him over the weekend, so I'll let you know how we get on.  I should say, it's not a new PC though.  I built it for him just after I built mine, so it's almost identical, apart from a different mobo, I think, making it about 4 to 5 years old.

Sounds like classic hd failure to me. Try replacing the MBR like sandra says, and maybe he'll get lucky and you won't have to replace it.

Thanks Bob.  I'm hoping for the best!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum