Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Acronis Drive Cleaner  (Read 1708 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Acronis Drive Cleaner
« on: September 22, 2007, 13:21 »
Hi All,

Can any one recommened a freeware alternative to Acronis Drive Cleaner.

I require software that will delete files from an old drive.

Cheers, DJ.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Acronis Drive Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 13:55 »
Discwizard has a zero fill option that will write a zero to each part of the drive thereby deleting the data instead of just formatting the drive, which leaves data intact but just removes its record.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Its a free tool and works on any make of drive.

I have just read the info and it doesnt seem to have the same option for zero fill as the older version did which was small enough to run from a floppy disc :(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 14:07 by Sandra »

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 14:36 »
Ok thanks Sandra - will have a look.

Think the normal Format drive will be ok for me, just want to clear out an old drive then I will be reusing it - so no real security issues.

Thanks, DJ.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 14:39 »
OK but if you need to zero fill it, if the seagate one no longer includes the option, then this one does it :

http://www.killdisk.com/

Has free and pay for versions that boot from either floppy or CD, the free one should be ok for most people  :)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 21:09 »
I have an easy to use zerofill that works off a bootable cd. I think it is either a seagate or maxtor bootdisk. I use to use it for those hard to remove recovery partitions some manufactures install. I know i have a few others sitting around, but I'm sorry to say I haven't a clue where they could be. Normally its easier to just stuff it into my enclosure and format it using windows. 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum