Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Defragging Photos Drive  (Read 1896 times)

Offline arthurb

Defragging Photos Drive
« on: March 09, 2008, 04:50 »
Hi All,
I need to defrag the drive which holds all of my photos (jpegs). However, my system requires approx 15gb to perform this task but there is only 13gb available. Can anyone suggest the best way to achieve this without deleting photo files or losing photo quality by compression?
Also, what would be the best way to file/store my photos whilst maintaining maximum quality?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Defragging Photos Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:02 »
Hi Arthur,

The only idea I had was to move some or all of the photos onto a DVD, but I expect someone more technical will be along soon, with some proper help.  Just a few preliminary questions:

Are you using XP or Vista?

Are you using any third party defragging software, or the built in Windows tool?

Why do you think you need to defrag the drive?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 11:04 »
Hi Arthur

Like Simon, my first thought is why do you need to defrag. With that kind of data, you'll see little speed improvement. If you must do it, though, you'll need to move some files temporarily.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline arthurb

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 19:08 »
Hi Simon / Rick

I'm using XP and its defrag software.

I'm only defragging because the system advised me to when I ran the disk cleanup facility.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 20:23 »
For what it's worth, Arthur, if you only have photos on the drive, I wouldn't bother.  Is this Diskeeper, by any chance?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:27 »
I'm only defragging because the system advised me to when I ran the disk cleanup facility.

It's not taking into account the type of data. Yes, fragmented files will take a little extra time to load, but with photos, you're really not likely to notice. For the time and effort involved, I wouldn't bother myself. If it was database files, it would be a different matter...
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum