Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Another network security question  (Read 1005 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Another network security question
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:04 »
Mornin'  :) If my wireless network is encrypted is it still possible for someone else to gain access through the routers admin screens ?  Reason i ask is the kids were on last night for about an hour general surfing on kids sites, then i went on and immediately got hit by the virgin media traffic shaping.  This means either 350 mb has been used, VM have changed their traffic shaping policy or someone is stealing my bandwidth.  Until last night the network was password protected but the admin login password was still the default  :blush: I've changed it now but what are the chances of someone accessing the pages, as they can then see my password (although i suppose it's catch 22 as they would need my password to see the pages  :dunno:)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Another network security question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:33 »
i doubt it to be honest, unless you have a very knowledgeable user next to you... which the chances of are fairly low I would expect (unless you lived in silicon valley!  ;D) Are you sure you were hit by their bandwidth policy.. and not is just being slow. Also had you been watching any streaming content.. because you will be surprised how this will clockup the bandwidth... I personally HATE virgin over these policies... oh I wish for the days of telewest...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Re: Another network security question
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 13:21 »
Sam it was definitely shaping, down from 240KB/s to 118KB/s...it's (the only) one thing VM do very reliably !  Thinking about it my son was watching Ben 10 streams on youtube, so as you mentioned he may have racked up the requisite 350 MB...how dare he use it like a broadband connection  :o:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum