Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Thinking of a new build...  (Read 29562 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Thinking of a new build...
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 15:01 »
Hmm... can't find another mobo for the same sort of price that has PS2 inputs and is DDR3 compatible.  I already have both USB mouse and keyboard, and admittedly, on my existing PC, the keyboard won't work until it's loaded the drivers, which makes it impossible to use safe mode, but on other PCs, that doesn't seem to be an issue, so I assumed it was something to do with my BIOS settings.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 15:25 »
Ah, should have read it properly the first time.  :blush:  It's only the mouse ps2 which is lacking, it seems to have a keyboard one, which is the most important, yes?  I don't think the lack of a mouse ps2 would bother me, and I have also found this, which would enable me to connect my two existing ROM drives, yes?

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 15:46 »
I'm not sure why you want 2 ROM drives?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 15:54 »
Always have had, Gmax - makes copying stuff a bit easier, and as I've got them, I might as well use them.  Also, I don't like too many blank spaces on the front of the PC case.  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 15:55 »
Just seen this mobo: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141245.  How does this compare to the Asus?  The Asus seems to have more bells and whistles, but not sure how essential they all are.  I am aware that the Intel isn't DDR3 compatible, but would this be upgradable?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 17:53 »
In theory an Intel mobo should be the best one for an Intel processor  :)

That looks fine but wont upgrade to DDR3 at a later stage but with fast enough DDR2 ram that shouldnt be a problem.

A bit of a dilemma here for you Simon.
The Q6600 is only a 1066MHz one and this mobo and the Asus you mentioned are capable of 1333Mhz.
Theres a core 2 duo which is 2.66ghz and 1333Mhz which is slightly cheaper, comparing both on Ebuyer, possibly cheaper still elsewhere :

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130484

That should be faster for single applications than the quad.
There arent any applications out yet that I know of that can fully utilise dual core CPUs, only a single core at a time, although they will come along I am sure.
The advantage of a multi core CPU is that you can run 2 or more heavy CPU intensive applications at once without one application taking some performance away from the other.
Are you likely, now or at some stage in the future, to be running more than 2 heavy duty apps at the same time ?
If the answer is no then the core 2 duo is probaly your better option, bang for buck.
If the answer is yes or you think that some programs and/or games will be coming out soon that can make use of all 4 cores then you are better off going for the quad.

The ram you mentioned would be fine with that mobo and is the fastest it will support.

You will need a PCI e GFX card and as Jester has said depending what you use it for then any of the ones hes suggested will be ok.
I prefer Nvidia to ATI but thats just my personal prefernce and I am not a gamer.
I am using an 8400GS in this pc but that was just so I could get the Aero desktop feature working on Vista which my old agp card wouldnt do, this mobo has AGP and PCI e slots so I can use either.

IDE and Sata drives mix without any problems, unless your an old scottish woman :P

You may find that you will have to get a PCI IDE controller card if you wish to use your old IDE drive and a pair of DVD drives, unless you get a new SATA DVD drive for one of them.

The PSU should be ok just check that it has the 24 pin mobo connector and at least a 4 pin intel cpu mobo connector, some use 8 but that mobo just uses 4.
Also that it has a GFX card connector.

I hope I have covered everything, if you think I have missed something or want to discuss something else just ask
 :)

Offline cookiemonster

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 18:05 »
I'm using the Quad core that you may be buying and it's a very good processor, run's very cool and I'm still using the stock cooler. But as Sandra said if your not using several CPU heavy Apps at once then the Dual Core she mentioned is spot on I even found it cheaper here Core 2 Duo E6750.

cookiemonster formally known as "jester212"

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 19:07 »
Ooh, a rare case where cheaper is better!  Thanks San, will check that one out.

Currently filling up a basket on Scan, which has so far worked out £30 cheaper than Ebuyer for the same components.

Here's the specs for the case and CPU, which I've had to order, as they were down to the last 4, so hopefully it's OK:

Chassis
M/B Type ATX
5.25 Drive Bay 5 ( Exposed )
3.5 Drive Bay 1 ( Exposed );4 ( Hidden )
Cooling System
 One 80 x 80 x 20 mm Front Fan ( Intake )
One 120x 120x 25mm Rear Fan(Exhaust)
I/O Panel USB 2.0 * 2
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) *1
MIC * 1

PSU Specs

Formfactor     ATX 12V V2.01
Maximum Power     550W
Noise Level     Min. 20 dBA (till20% load)
Efficency     70 till 80%
Warranty     2 Year
Diameter     150 x 86 x 150 mm
Fan type     120 x 120 x 25 mm
Input Voltage     180 ~ 264V
Input Current     5A @ 230Vac
Input Frequency     47 ~ 63Hz
PFC     Active PFC (0,99)
Power Good Signal     100 ~ 500 ms
Hold up time     Min. 17 ms
MTBF     100.000 uur
Protection     OVP / OCP / OTP / OLP / Short / Full Protection
safty     CE / cUL / TUV / NEMKO / BSMI / FCC
Operation Temperature     0~40 ºC

Cable Connectors

20+4pin Motherboard Power Connector
4pin ATX12V Motherboard Connector
2x 6pin PCI-Express Connector
1x 8pin PCI-Express Connector
3x SATA Connectors
5x Molex Peripheral connectors
2x Floppy Connectors

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 19:10 »
Oh, and at the moment, I'm going for the original Asus mobo that I saw, as the Intel one doesn't even have a keyboard PS2, which at least the Asus does.  However, I'm open to persuasion, as I like the look of the Intel mobo, and it would seem to be a sensible match for the CPU.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 19:18 »
Looking at the E6750, it only has 4Mb cache, whereas the Q6600 has 8Mb cache.  Is that not an issue?  I'm having trouble believing that cheaper is better, but I'll happily be convinced.  :)

Offline cookiemonster

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 19:31 »
I would say it all depends on your needs. I mean the Q6600 is a awesome CPU one of the best Intel have released to date but ask yourself do you need 4 cores? Sandra is right there aren't very many Apps and games that utilise the 4 core's to date. I have recently just installed Vista ultimate 64bit and I have noticed that it uses my 4 cores a lot more that the 32bit so that's benefit I guess for me. Either way there both great CPU's, but if you want a slightly more future proof one then go for the Q6600.

Also have you tried pricing your goods from overclockers as I have found them cheaper than scan sometimes. Just food for thought.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 19:47 »
I've had some good recommendations for Scan, Jester, and seem to recall hearing some not so good ones for OCers, but could be wrong.  Hmmm... not sure which one to go for.  I think I'm going to be sticking to XP, so I suppose the sensible option would be the E6750.  Going to have another look at the Intel mobos, and see if I can find one with a K/B PS2.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 19:54 »
That power supply is fine.
The L2 cache is 2mb per core Simon so the E6750 has 2 x 2mb = 4mb and the Q6600 has 4 x 2mb = 8mb.
You can only use the available cache when that core is in use, so theres no real difference in normal use between the 2 CPUS, apart from the E6750 has a 10% faster clock speed.
People used to risk burning out expensive CPUs that ran at 233mhz by overclocking them by 10% to get another 23mb, the E6750 gives you over 200mb more without overclocking it and for less money :D

Are you a member of AVforums Simon ?
AVForums members are eligible for free delivery on all orders worth £20+VAT from SCAN Computers

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

Your order will probably qualify for free delivery anyway due to its cost if Scan are like most stores these days.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 19:56 »
That's great, thanks San, and yes, I am a member of AVF.

Just looking at Intel mobos again, but most of them seems to be lacking the K/B PS2.  :(

Offline cookiemonster

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 19:58 »
Yeah Scan are good but I find them pricey! I've used Overclockers for a few years now and not had a single problem with them, very quick despatch and delivery e.g....order on Tuesday get it Wednesday!!! Citylink providing of course!! ::)  and there support is good too.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum