Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Thinking of a new build...  (Read 29564 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Thinking of a new build...
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2008, 07:43 »
Thanks Guys,

I do use the external drive, but only for storage usually, so it's not a huge issue.  It's just that, at the moment, I am using it to transfer stuff, hence the annoyance.

Terry, I'm pretty sure the USB connectors can only go one way on, so I wouldn't think it's that but I'll check.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2008, 08:03 »
Yes you can hot-swap eSATA

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2008, 08:16 »
I don't agree with you there - I've got about 3 TB of external disks and they all run fairly speedily, though it probably helps that they are formatted to either EXT3 or NTFS.

Also I think Si isn't really intending to use it for too much apart from transferring files, are ya?
I don't agree with you there - I've got about 3 TB of external disks and they all run fairly speedily, though it probably helps that they are formatted to either EXT3 or NTFS.

Also I think Si isn't really intending to use it for too much apart from transferring files, are ya?

I've got about 3 TB of external disks and they all run fairly speedily
You might think they run fast, but if they were "eSata" they would be at least twice as fast! have you ever used eSata?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2008, 08:25 »
yes... though faster it wasn't too noticeable on the day to day use, however that could just been the disk - I've only ever used one.  Also its not really worth me changing all my disks to this and you lost the ability to walk to any machine in my group and plugging it in without any hassle (not that I do that often, normally just mount via ssh).  I'm also not sure how compatible it is with linux machines, but I haven't really investigated.

I found this:

"The main advantage of eSATA compaired with USB 2.0 is the maximal rate of data transfer of the interface.
eSATA theoretically enables 1500 MBit/s, whereas USB 2.0 does only reach 480 MBit/s. In practice USB 2.0 reaches maximal 30 MByte/s. That though does slow down the 3,5-inch-hard disk drive dramatically. On the other hand, with eSATA, during usage, eSATA reaches 150 MByte/s or even more. Furthermore, SATA does stress/strain/burden the processor much less than USB does."

- sam | @starrydude --

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2008, 08:37 »
I use a COOLER MASTER X CRAFT 3.5" ESATA USB2 ENCLOSUE ,
has eSata and USB interface, so no problem using it with any pc,
http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/6402_COOLER_MASTER_X_CRAFT_3_5__ESATA_USB2.aspx

Its faster than my internal IDE hard drive.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2008, 14:08 »
Gmax, is that running with Vista?

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2008, 14:58 »
TR, Thats with XP

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2008, 16:50 »
Ok Cheers  ;) Gmax

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2008, 12:47 »
I did PM him when I started the thread, but he either hasn't received or can't be arsed.  ;D

Now that's not fair Bro, I would not have missed this for the world if I had known,  ;D You should have emailed me  :o:

Anyway your sorted now well done, I'm proud of you  ::)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2008, 13:39 »
Only had your forum registered email, mate, and assumed PM would reach you.  :)

Anyway, all done and dusted now, but due to the disaster with the SATA connectors, I'm thinking of replacing the mobo when I get some spare time.  :o
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum