Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: HD enthusiasts crying foul over cable TV's crunched signals  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021

Offline sam

• Administrator
tut tut, wonder if we have the same issue over here?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
The quality of some channels is questionable, apparently, Sam, but I wouldn't know, as I haven't got HD.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
who do we know who does....  a certain female fanatic?   ::)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Yes, but she's only got a small, old fashioned CRT TV, Sam, so everything probably looks the same to her.   :devil:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
I dont have any broadcast HD coming in to my house just yet, I can only watch it through my PC or using an upscaling DVD player. Still waiting for the long promised Dreambox 8000  ::)

My old fashioned but better quality pictures than any plasma or LCD TV, does look amazingly good in both SD and HD, something that many people overlook when buying something that looks nice, but only when its switched offf  :)x

Cable, and Satellite bandwith is apparently restricted in the UK which means that we dont get as good a picture as HD shoud be.
However if you get the German and other european satellite HD channels they seem to allocate higher bit rates to ther HD broadcasts so they get better HD for cheaper than we get the inferior pictures.
When the digital switchover comes round in the UK then we may get a few decent HD channels on terrestrial but they will presumably be low bitrate too.
The only way we will get decent HD is possibly with the BBC and ITV joint venture thats supposedly launching on May 9th, FREESAT.
Being satellite broadcast and not directly under the control of Mr. (I like to make lots of money) Murdoch, then theres a possibility that they may use a similar standard to the european HD satellite broadcasters.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 18:23 by Sandra »

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Being satellite broadcast and not directly under the control of Mr. (I like to make lots of money) Murdoch, then theres a possibility that they may use a similar standard to the european HD satellite broadcasters.

Though Ofcom will probably find a way to stop them in the interests of the free market. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
 :(
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum