Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DivX Player  (Read 6961 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
DivX Player
« on: May 11, 2008, 13:53 »
I'm looking for a cheap DivX player, less than £40, and wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

I'm inclined towards this Sumvision model but open to suggestions.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: DivX Player
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 17:01 »
Can't actually recommend it, Gill, but there's one on Play.com for under £40 (reviewer is just miffed it's not multi-region), or there are several low priced DVD / DviX players on Ebuyer.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 18:44 »
The DVD player I have connected to my bedroom telly plays DivX and cost me £16.99 in Tesco.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 19:14 »
Is this the one you've got, Dave?  The product description says it will play XVID files - are they the same as DivX?

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 21:39 »
NO, Gill, mine is an Alba branded player.

I had never heard of XviD, so Googled it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 22:19 »
no xvid isn't divx, but its similar, its just another way of compressing the files. I have many sumvision products, not a divx player, but the products I do have are good quality.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 00:51 »
DivX and Xvid are both Mpeg4 formats Gill.
DivX is a copyrighted format and Xvid is an open source development. They both compress by a similar amount and are both excellent quality as long as whoever converts the files doesnt try to make them too small. A 2 hour film converted to Mpeg4 at just under 700mbs so that it would fit on a single CD could be a little poor on quality, similar to a VHS tape on long play. If they are converted to between 1200 and 1400mbs so that they fit on 2 CDs or put 3 films on a DVD then there is no real detectable difference in the quality to a standard DVD.

I once did an experiment with a bought DVD of around 6.5 gig,, I used DVD shrink to make a copy, missing all the extra audio and chapters and crappy directors stuff out and burned it as a standard 4.7gig DVD, I then converted that file to a DivX at around 1200mbs and burned to a DVD, I then converted the DivX back to fit on a standard 4.7gig DVD.

I had a friend round and we played the original and the copies back on my 32" CRT TV from my Mpeg4 DVD player and we couldnt tell which was which as the quality was excellent on all of them.
Maybe if you had a 42 inch or larger plasma or LCD TV then you may have noticed some difference but there again if you were watching DVD in SD on any plasma or LCD youd have thought they were also all the same quality as the picture obviously wouldnt be as good as when watched on a CRT TV anyway.

I have had a Yamada Divx player, they were amongst the first of the cheap ones to come out and I recommended them to a few friends who have been happy with theirs.
I dont use my current one much as I tend to play most DVDs off my PC via a component connection as some formats still wont play on an Mpeg4 player such as RM, Quicktime and Matroska files, whereas of course the PC plays them all.
I have a Philips DVP 5980 which has a USB port on the front but I have had problems getting it to see my USB flashdrives, but it upscales to 1080P.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 00:54 by Sandra »

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 12:37 »
Many thanks for all the good advice and help, especially the distinction between Xvid and DivX.

Ebuyer wouldn't accept my debit card (I presume they don't cater for women who have the temerity to marry and change their surname  >:( ) so they've lost a customer.  I ended up ordering this Sony from Amazon for £35 instead.

Gill

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 12:52 »
What was their problem with it, Gill?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 13:43 »
I don't know - you can only contact them using 'enotes', for which you need order reference numbers, or by phoning their helpline.  I won't phone helplines as a matter of principle because it encourages the firm to offer shoddy service so they can make money from telephone enquiries.

Gill

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 14:24 »
the sony one looks quite nice!
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum