Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Firefox Add-ons not working.  (Read 7323 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Firefox Add-ons not working.
« on: July 24, 2008, 13:46 »
I'm not sure which version of Firefox I had when this problem started, which was probably in early June, or even May.
I have WebMail Notifier 1.0.10, which I had my Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo email addresses in it, worked fine, then the Yahoo address kept asking for security type this mess of numbers and letters that are almost unreadable, and when you do, it asks again about 5 minutes later. This kept happening so I deleted Yahoo from the email notifier, problem solved, right........... of course not.
Shortly before I went away the notifier wasn't checking the Gmail address, and when I first turned on the computer last night when I got back, it wasn't checking any of them.
Firefox did let me know a new update was ready, and when I tried to install it, it failed, error code 203, or similar.

I tried finding updates for all add-ons, any add-on updates will be installed when Firefox is restarted, nope! So I tried uninstalling Webmail Notifier, will be uninstalled when Firefox restarts, nope.

Installed 2.0.0.16, nothing changed. Installed 3.01, doesn't have an email notifier and other add-ons I tried to install wouldn't except the Aussie Dictionary, figured I needed it. Not really necessary as I know all Aussie swear words, and up until this point I've used most of them.

I decided to go back a few versions, 2.0.0.13, add-ons still the same, and according to Add/Remove Programs I have Firefox 2.0.0.16 and 3.01.

IE is looking good at this stage.
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Firefox Add-ons not working.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 14:08 »
Hi Kate, and welcome back!  :wub:

It seems you may not be the only one having this problem.

However, there is a newer version of Webmail Notifier available here, which might solve things for you.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 14:22 »
My knight in shining armour.  :-*

I'm glad I'm not the only annoyed user of this once working and very helpful, Add-on.

Thank you Simon, consider yourself hugged.  :wub: (That's another Add-on I no longer have)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 14:27 »
 :blush:  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 14:31 »
Perhaps I spoke to soon. (Nah, just kidding)

When I tried to install it, it came up with error code 203 again. I can't uninstall the older version, or should it just update it. All Add-ons I've tried to update or uninstall, say that they will complete this when I restart Firefox, but when I do, nothing changes.  :dunno:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 14:49 »
Error code 203 appears to be a "Before Statement, Javascript error code 203" and when I clicked on it, this is what it says.

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIWebNavigation.loadURI]"  nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/viewSource.js :: viewSource :: line 141"  data: no]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 15:04 »
Right, so you've tried to uninstall the old Webmail Notifier in Firefox > Tools > Addons, and that fails, yes?

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 15:19 »
Yes.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 15:37 »
I can't think of much to suggest, but I would try uninstalling all existing Firefox versions from Add / Remove, then reinstall Firefox 3.01, and try the latest version of Webmail Notifier again.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 15:52 »
It does say that the latest version is compatible with 2.0.0.16, but not sure about 3.01, and 3.0 has an * next to it, not sure what that means. I quite like the look of the new 3.01, but it doesn't have a lot to offer in the way of Add-ons.

Can you get the 2.0.0.16 with a 3.01 theme, that would be good.

It's getting late here, so I'll try tomorrow.  :yawn:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 18:03 »
Can you list the addons you currently have installed? Most addons are compatible with FF3, its just that the creators of the addons haven't updated the version stamp. List your addons and ill edit them by hand and upload them if your really want to switch to v3.

Simon is probably right. Uninstall FF completely and then reinstall and add your addons. It'll ask you if you want to remove everything, and make sure you say yes.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 03:55 »
Thanks Bob.

I uninstalled FF2, but when I started to uninstall FF3, it stated that I will lose all of my bookmarks (and I have hundreds) and all of my passwords. Is there any way of saving, at least my bookmarks. Can you transfer them to IE, like you can import bookmarks from IE to FF?

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 04:03 »
I thought you said you didn't have firefox 3 installed?

Instructions for Firefox 2:
Open firefox, go to bookmarks/ organize bookmarks/ File/ export/ and save the bookmark.html to your desktop.

Instructions for Firefox 3:
bookmarks/ organize bookmarks/ Import and backup tab/ export html/ and save the bookmark.html to your desktop.

To get them back into firefox just import them where it says import.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:06 by Reno »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 09:22 »
You can also save your passwords by going to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default and saving the signons.txt file.  In the new installation, you'll need to create one new saved password, then you can go back into the new profile, and overwrite the signons.txt with your saved one.

There is a backup utility for Firefox and Thunderbird, available here, but I've never used it myself.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 09:31 »
I think it's too late Simon, I have already uninstalled Firefox after saving my bookmarks. I wish I had of asked before I did it, as I have soooo many damn passwords.  :(

And thanks for the Link, I have saved it in case I need it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:38 by mistybear »

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum