Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Sony Cybershot  (Read 8652 times)

Offline welshy.

Sony Cybershot
« on: August 02, 2008, 20:34 »
Helllllo all, I've got a Sony Cybershot camera and my question is, i went to charge it just now as it wasn't turning on (i assume the battery died) it's pretty much brand new and I've only used it once before. So i plug the charger in and place the battery in, and after like 10 secs the charger light started flashing and the battray wasn't charging, after reading the manual and not getting any help i randomly googled it and saw someone mention cleaning the contacts on the battery with a cotton swab, I did that and now it charges fine.

So even though my question is a shot in the dark (hoping someone knows about these cams) does the orange flashing light mean that the battery charger didn't detect the battery? And why did i need to clean the contacts in order to make it work? I'm completely clueless in regards to cameras except how to take a photo lol. Also it's still under warranty and I'm not sure if i should replace it.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Sony Cybershot
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 23:09 »
cleaning the contacts would have allowed the current to pass through easier - though it sounds as if you should not have needed to do that. Since your camera is new I would be slightly concerned about that, if it happens again I'd consider contacting the company your warranty is with. I'm not sure I have an answer for the rest of your question, I think the LEDs are different for ever camera type.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 23:25 »
I have Sony Cybershot and when it's charging the orange light glows steadily.  Once it's fully charged the light just goes out.  I've never seen it flashing.

Offline welshy.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 00:56 »
Flashing apparently means that it's waiting for the battery (was plugged in but no contact?), cleaning the contacts is a good or bad sign then? the cam is in immaculate condition as well

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 01:40 »
It may have just been a bad connection, caused by something on the contacts, and the flashing charger light was just a warning that something isn't right.  I have a Cybershot myself, and find it to be a super little camera.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline welshy.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 17:47 »
Ye, but as it's brand new i'm wondering wether i should replace it

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 18:16 »
well, I guess it could have just been some plastic on it - if it is working and charges fine then I wouldn't worry... but I'd keep an eye on it.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline welshy.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 19:33 »
Plastic on it? how could that happen i'm clueless to these things lol

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 20:18 »
well that was just a thought - I guess it came out of a plastic bag when you took it out of the packaging.. so some could have gotten attached, though its more likely to have been something at the factory.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline welshy.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 20:26 »
I'd already used the cam once, and charged the battery

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 20:46 »
Was there a little bit of tape you had to pull out from the battery compartment when you first used it?  I'm clutching at straws, as I can't remember it on mine, but as Sam said, it could well have been some sort of contamination of the battery terminals, which you have now cleaned.

Obviously, it's up to you whether you return it, but personally, I would probably give it some more use, and see if it happens again, rather than having the hassle of an exchange, unless, of course, you bought it locally, and can just take it back to the shop.  Remember, you have a year's warranty, so my suggestion would be to give it a month or so, with good usage, and if it happens again, it would definitely seem that a fault is present.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum