Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Game Developer's Response To Pirates  (Read 1992 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Game Developer's Response To Pirates
« on: August 14, 2008, 09:20 »
"A few days ago, indie PC games developer Positech publicly called for people pirating their games to explain why, in an open and honest attempt to see what the causes of gaming piracy were. Hundreds of blog posts, hundreds more emails and several server-reboots later, the developer's reply is up on their site. The pirates had a lot to say, on subjects such as price, DRM, demos and the overall quality of PC games, and Positech owner Cliffski explains how this developer at least will be changing their approach to selling PC games as a result. Is this the start of a change for the wider industry? Or is this the only developer actively listening to the pirates point of view?"

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/13/2249246&from=rss
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Game Developer's Response To Pirates
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:10 »
I think all the time that pirated material is available, people will use it, even if the genuine article was reduced in price.  Interesting read, Sam.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:25 »
I think all the time that pirated material is available, people will use it, even if the genuine article was reduced in price.  Interesting read, Sam.  :)

yep, you are right.. but if things were cheaper I doubt I would and I'm sure there is a number of us who would be in a similar position. I like owning the item. I like giving the developers there money and I can't be arsed with the hassle / time it takes to get the stuff off the net... but still I do it because I can't afford £50 for a game I play for a few hours.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:34 by sam »
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 12:30 »
Can't argue with that, Sam.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum