Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: What Linux Will Look Like In 2012  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
What Linux Will Look Like In 2012
« on: August 14, 2008, 22:29 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: What Linux Will Look Like In 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 00:02 »
I'm still not convinced it's worth the trouble of switching from Windows.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:14 »
oh it is, trust me... once you go Linux you don't go back...  :)x

oh I like the picture of the eeePC on there - it says it has a nice native OS that comes with it... shame the one on show is actually after someone has wacked Ubuntu over the top  :laugh:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:53 »
Just out of curiosity, which is easier, switching from Windows to Linux, or Linux to Windows?  As I've said before, one thing which prevents me would be the cost and work involved in converting several years of Windows programs and files, over to Linux.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 11:01 »
the cost?

Quite a number of windows applications have alternative, or even better can be run in Linux. I agree there could be quite a lot of work involved, but there are numerous good guides out there and I'm always happy to help... its definitely not for everyone, well not yet - but if you have an old machine around would be quite a good thing to have a play with.

I'd suggest going the other way would be far more difficult... as you would not be used to having to install things like you do with windows, having to install drivers in the way windows does and not having the flexibility in your system todo anything you like.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:10 »
I do have my old machine still, so that could be something to look at, but another problem is, I just don't have the time at the moment, and I'd need to buy another monitor, so I could have the second machine set up without keep having to switch between the two.  That leads to another problem of space...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:57 »
However, I have just taken the first step, and ordered one of these. :)x

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:02 »
I do have my old machine still, so that could be something to look at, but another problem is, I just don't have the time at the moment, and I'd need to buy another monitor, so I could have the second machine set up without keep having to switch between the two.  That leads to another problem of space...

well you could get a kvm switch if that bothers you...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch  (or something like that) - they work quite well... but time is more of an issue!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 12:04 »
However, I have just taken the first step, and ordered one of these. :)x

Oh excellent, I love my little eeepc.. I think you have the same spec one I do there. I have xubuntu on it and not just the standard one that came with it, which works well but doesn't give you the proper experience. The battery life is about 3 hours, but that's not bad for such a small system - the wait is unbelievable. I got myself an 8GB SDHC card and use that as boot up harddisk....
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 12:05 »
oh and more on eexubuntu here: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home  but have fun with the inbuilt on first!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 12:13 »
  Let me get the thing out the box first!  ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 12:47 »
 :thumbs:
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum