Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Eee PC not so eeesy?  (Read 13943 times)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Re: Eee PC not so eeesy?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 08:59 »
If I use a low encryption key, then that will compromise the security of my other laptop, won't it?  As far as I know, you can't have different keys for different devices on the network, unless I'm mistaken.

My router is set on WPA-PSK and it all works ok but on saying that i do remember struggling to get it to connect at the start and maybe i had it on lower security until i installed XP  :dunno:

I'd also switch to XP unless you have the time and inclination to faff about with various linux stuff  :yawn:  :devil:

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 10:17 »
I did actually make a small step last night, by using a static IP rather than DHCP.  It seemed to connect to the router, but then gave the message 'link is down'.  Trouble is, it was asking for DNS settings, and I haven't a clue what these would be.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 10:18 »
If I use a low encryption key, then that will compromise the security of my other laptop, won't it?  As far as I know, you can't have different keys for different devices on the network, unless I'm mistaken.

Yes and no...
Slainthe!

Rik

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 10:40 »
Thanks for the clarification!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 18:07 »
My router is set on WPA-PSK and it all works ok but on saying that i do remember struggling to get it to connect at the start and maybe i had it on lower security until i installed XP  :dunno:

I'd also switch to XP unless you have the time and inclination to faff about with various linux stuff  :yawn:  :devil:

lower security with linux, you are having a laugh right??  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 18:08 »
I did actually make a small step last night, by using a static IP rather than DHCP.  It seemed to connect to the router, but then gave the message 'link is down'.  Trouble is, it was asking for DNS settings, and I haven't a clue what these would be.

The DNS settings should be rather simple to get hold of off your router... I still haven't had chance to play with my laptop on this - things are bit hectic with my visitor - I'll take a look first thing tomorrow.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 18:16 »
To be honest, Sam, Linux is far more alien to me than I ever thought it would be, and it doesn't seem as though you can do anything without knowing some sort of complex command prompt. 

Windows is not easy, you just know it. Linux is far easier if you didn't know windows first.

The problem is you have, out of the box a pretty poor version of Linux (ubuntu is much much better). Once you have the advanced desktop mode working it will be a lot better, you will even have a desktop. And a complex command prompt, come on Si - don't be scared by having to type something.  ;)

For the advanced desktop mode... see http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:introtofulldesktop - though I just realised that we need to get your network connection working first.

Ok on this - is you SSID visible? Does you SSID or passphrase have spaces in it? If so that is probably the issue and it is probably simplier if you could quickly change them.  Otherwise you might need to do something a bit harder: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:wpawithspaces
- sam | @starrydude --

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 21:45 »
Believe it ir not, I'm typing this on the Eee PC!!  BUT, with no wireless security, so I'm off...

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 23:00 »
Right, update:  It works with no security, and with WEP security, but not with WPA, which is what I use, and don't want to switch from, as it's better than WEP.  Soooo, if I can get online with WEP, just for the purpose, is there something I can download to fix the WPA issue?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 08:18 »
Oh excellent...

yep... see the above link I posted.

I use WEP, and so does lots of people I know - its pretty darn secure - especially since all you have to really worry about is your neighbours. Though, lets fix the issue with the WPA. First of all I suggest that you try and get into the advanced mode, you will prefer it.

Follow: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:getkde - yes you need to use the terminal but copy what they do, its fairly straight forward- I can explain the steps further if you are at all worried about certain commands.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 09:03 »
When you ditch the L for XP then i'm sure it will work in WPA.  ;)

Mine is and i don't remember doing anything else to get it to work.

I didn't put XP on till after i up'ed the ram to 2GB but it is "lightning bolt" with the 2GB of ram.  :thumbs:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 10:00 »
no you just had to install windows.

If Si, installed Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian... and the list of linux distros continues WPA would work out of the box... but its the version of Linux that comes with the eeePC that is at fault.  Not all Linux distributions are the same, and some are far more advanced than others... and all of these are far more advanced than Microsoft XP.
- sam | @starrydude --

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 10:15 »
So, would it not be easier to install Ubuntu or something?  Or is it not as simple as that.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 10:33 »
well, yeah it is that simple but you could get both working. I'd suggest you get the advanced desktop mode working first - then we should be able to fix the WPA.... if not then Ubuntu is the thing todo...
- sam | @starrydude --

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 10:36 »
OK, we have Advanced Desktop!   :yeaah:  Now what?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum