Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PVRs  (Read 2329 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
PVRs
« on: September 17, 2008, 22:30 »
We've been thinking of acquiring a PVR-type gadget to record TV programmes.  However, we can imagine that we would like to transfer recorded programmes to a computer.  Are there any PVRs which will allow you to export?

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: PVRs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 00:56 »
Humax 9200T is what you want Gill.
I have had one for coming up to 3 years now, paid £199-99 for mine. A friend got one from Martin Dawes recently for £99 delivered.
Looks like they have run out as its discontinued but they have the Humax PVR9150T at £125 :

http://www.martindawes.net/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=PVR9150T&cid=digital_set_top_boxes&pcidl=digital_lifestyle%2cdigital_set_top_boxes&language=en-GB

You can record 2 programs at the same time while watching a recorded one or sometimes watch a third program if its on the same multiplex as one of the two that you are recording.

Theres a USB connection that allows you to transfer recordings to your pc if you wish to make a DVD. Unless they have changed it on this new model theres a program they supply on the CD for the pc that you install and then it works like an FTP type program, the pc in the left window and the Humax in the right window and you just drag the files which way you want, Humax to pc or pc to Humax.
It takes about half the legth of the recording to transfer to the pc, I dont know why they didnt make the Humax work like an external USB hard drive, as that would have been quicker.

I was talking to an 81 year old aunt this evening and she was saying that shed been staying with her son last week and didnt realise how good the Humax was until shed missed having it when she was at his house, she got hers just after I got mine. Its very easy to use and she likes the fact that you can rewind live TV for a few seconds, or up to an hour even, as shes a bit hard of hearing and sometimes misses hearing what someone says. She doesnt have that problem now as she just rewinds 30 seconds or so and listens more closely
 :)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:52 »
Thanks, Sandra :) .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Video Sender
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 13:48 »
I see Aldi has a Video Sender on sale on 9 November.  This intrigues me.  Would I be able to hook one to my Sky box and transmit the video to my digital TV card?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 13:58 »
It should do if you have SVHS (svid) or composite in on your TV card Gill.
I dont think they work from the RF sockets in and out (aerial socket) though. They usually connect via scart, Svid or composite at each end.
The good thing about Aldi stuff is that you can usually return it quite easily if it doesnt work as you expect it to do.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum