Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: NASA Developing Small Nuclear Reactor For the Moon  (Read 2276 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
NASA Developing Small Nuclear Reactor For the Moon
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:24 »
"NASA astronauts will need power sources when they return to the moon and establish a lunar outpost. NASA engineers are exploring the possibility of nuclear fission to provide the necessary power, and they are taking initial steps toward a non-nuclear technology demonstration of this type of system."

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2008/sep/HQ_08-227_Moon_Power.html
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Re: NASA Developing Small Nuclear Reactor For the Moon
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:55 »
It's amazing the innovations that they're coming out with in nuclear science. I remember anything nuclear use to be extremely unpopular back in the 80s and 90s.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:24 »
It's amazing the innovations that they're coming out with in nuclear science. I remember anything nuclear use to be extremely unpopular back in the 80s and 90s.

still is.. but its better than fossil fuels.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 13:24 »
So how close are they to achieving fission?  I'm sure people would find fission reactors much more acceptable than fusion reactors.

It's absolutely ridiculous that we haven't had a proper nuclear power station building programme over the last forty years.  I know power plants are about as welcome as paedophile rehabilitation hostels, but if you gave everyone within the catchment of a power plant discounted electricity, the objections would soon dissipate.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 15:33 »
So how close are they to achieving fission?  I'm sure people would find fission reactors much more acceptable than fusion reactors.

I think you have fission and fusion the wrong way round  - but anyway with ITER they will soon be not too far from it, but I doubt it will be as revolutionary as people hope. Fusion still produces radioactive material and is still fairly disastrous if things go wrong... then again if things are well maintained by good people then it will never be an issue apart from the waste. Most of the bad PR from UK nuclear power stations is due to mistakes made during the unknown stages. Things are different now. Though coal stations produce radioactive waste too...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 15:39 »
I think you have fission and fusion the wrong way round 

Whoops!   :blush:

You're quite right, Sam - I have.  I see ITER are looking to fill 80 vacant posts.  Perhaps I should apply for one of them and hope the ability to distinguish between fusion and fission isn't regarded as an insurmountable impediment.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 18:38 »
You're quite right, Sam - I have.  I see ITER are looking to fill 80 vacant posts.  Perhaps I should apply for one of them and hope the ability to distinguish between fusion and fission isn't regarded as an insurmountable impediment.

;D if you got it working they wouldn't care!  :o:
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum