Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Difference between DVD -R and DVD +R  (Read 19433 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Difference between DVD -R and DVD +R
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:38 »
Could someone please explain the difference between these two media types, as we have burned movies to DVD +R and they never work, only DVD -R do. Is it something to do with finishing them?? I have no idea what I'm talking about. We ran out of DVD -R and we have DVD +R but don't know why we can't burn them correctly.  :dunno:
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Difference between DVD -R and DVD +R
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:58 »
well I'm guessing your burner can cope with both.. but I bet the player you are trying them on can't...

not sure if this is of help, http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/ - possibly not but it might help explain the differences.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 11:59 »
I think DVD-R is the more widely used format, and is compatible with most DVD players.  Maybe your player isn't +R compatible?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:00 »
Or what Sam said.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:36 »
Okay, I think I understand. But seeming Michael and I have the same DVD Burners and DVD Roms, that doesn't help. OTH, if he burned it, why can't we read it?

I have a DVD player/recorder which I think plays anything, but Michael has it in his room.

I was getting Michael a new DVD burner, the one CD Freaks recommended http://www.cdfreaks.com/hardware/product/861-Samsung-SH-S203B-_-TS-H653B.html
but they didn't have it stock.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 12:50 »
Are you saying the same drive that burns the DVD+Rs won't play them back?  That sounds a bit odd, unless the discs aren't being finalised.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 12:56 »
You beat me to it Simon, I was just going to post this....

I just found an old DVD +R that I burned a couple of years ago, and it plays fine in my DVD ROM. And now I can't find the DVD that Michael burned for me, and while I was at, I stepped on a small mirror and broke it..... so that's how many years bad luck..

I thought it had something to do with being finalised, well I said finished. So how do you finalise them and can it still be done on the DVD Michael burned for me. (If I can find it.)

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 13:12 »
Maybe your not using the correct DVD format?, what exactly are you trying to burn? ripping a DVD movie?.
I don't bother with DVD video any more , i prefer Xvid .
LG dvd players are ok, it plays any disk i chuck in it.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 13:20 »
Michael burned a DVD +R with a few movies that he had on his PC, took them to my mums and they wouldn't play, she has a LG VCR/DVD player. I tried it in my PC ROM and DVD - W and it won't play.   :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 13:47 »
It's probably a setting in whatever burning software he's using, MB.  Normally, it would be set to finalise by default, but if that's been changed, it may not be doing so.

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 14:11 »
MB, your not giving us enough details to help you, if your burning a movie with nero and dvd video was selected it should work, otherwise nero gives an error message
saying the burn is not compatible with dvd players.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 14:18 »
I didn't burn it gmax, so I don't know.

Thanks Simon, he doesn't normally use +R as I bought them for me, but he ran out. Well, I now know the what the difference is between them.

I don't suppose you know if I can put the DVD back in the DVD burner and try to finalise it?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 14:32 »
bloody windows users!  ;)

I don't think you can get away with the MB... probably worth waiting for him to be around
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 14:59 »
You should be able to finalise a disc after you've burned it, after all, that's what it would have done anyway, but without knowing the burning software, I can't tell you how to do it.  At a guess, look in the Tools menu.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 15:12 »
bloody windows users!  ;)

I don't think you can get away with the MB... probably worth waiting for him to be around

As long as Windows works Sam, I'm happy.  ;D     And I will wait until he blesses me with his presence, and he can look for the Discs.  ;)

You should be able to finalise a disc after you've burned it, after all, that's what it would have done anyway, but without knowing the burning software, I can't tell you how to do it.  At a guess, look in the Tools menu.

I'm fairly certain he used Nero 8 or possibly WMP 11. I'm not so sure now......  :blush:

I think from now one I'll do my own DVD's. It's just that he had about 100 movies on his Hard Drive, would be easier to transfer them to me.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum