Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Digital camera uploading question  (Read 6811 times)

Offline gelertdog

Digital camera uploading question
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:19 »
Hi

I have recently bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-S730 digital camera and cannot upload any photos to my computer. The problem is that when I try to import the photos using the picture motion browser software and USB cable it doesn’t work as it says it ‘cannot find media source for importing’. The USB is plugged in firmly and I have reinstalled the software. When I went back to my old Kodak Easyshare camera and used the memory card with a USB connecter, the Kodak camera is recognised in the picture motion browser. When I initially phoned Sony, they gave no solution saying it probably was my computer and I could send it to them under the European Guarantee but they would end up charging me if they could find no fault with the camera. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sian

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Digital camera uploading question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:53 »
What happens if you simply connect the camera to the computer, is it seen as an external hard drive? What software came with the camera? Do you have access to a card reader? What OS are you running? Sorry for all the questions.
Slainthe!

Rik

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:15 »
Hi Sian, and  :welcome:

I don't tend to use any camera manufacturer's software, but simply connect the camera to the PC via USB, and it appears in My Computer as an external drive, as Rik said.  I also have a Cybershot, and haven't had any problems downloading photos to the PC by that method.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline gelertdog

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 12:59 »
Hi

When I connect to the computer the usb connection is recognised as it comes up with an F drive but there is nothing in it! The Kodak easyshare camera is recognised when I use a card reader.  I am using XP and the software to access your photos is called 'picture motion browser'. I dont have a card reader for this camera as the one I had given to me for my kodak easyshare doesnt fit with the memory stick pro duo I bought for the cybershot. I take it that there is such a card reader for this camera that might solve my problem? Sorry I do not have much experience with all this!Thanks

Sian

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 13:09 »
Does just one extra drive come up in My Computer?  I'm wondering if it's seeing the SD card in the camera as a separate drive?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline gelertdog

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 13:25 »
hi Simon

Yes just one extra drive (f) comes up. Sian

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 13:43 »
So, the folder is entirely empty?  You don't have a DCIM folder inside it?  If that's the case, I don't really know what to suggest.  I assume that photos on the camera can be viewed from the camera itself?  One other thing, have you tried a different USB port on the computer?

Offline gelertdog

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 14:12 »
Hi again

Yes the folder is empty-no dcim folder. I can view the photos I took ok and have tried the other usb port. When I first tried to import a message came up on screen (where the usb is recognised) which mentioned a malfunction. It disappeared quickly and hasn't come again so I can't tell you what it exactly says. Do you know anything about these 'card readers 'would it be worthwhile me getting one as otherwise its money down the drain as Sony dont seem to want to honour the guarantee. Thanks for your help. sian

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 15:01 »
I presume that you are using the weird and wonderful dedicated USB lead that came with your Cybershot Sian?  I also have a Cybershot which uploads without any trouble. 

Offline gelertdog

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 15:38 »
hi clive

Yes I am using the usb lead that came with the camera. sian

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 15:41 »
It should just work, Sian. :( If you right-click the drive in Explorer and select properties, what information do you get?

Trying the memory card via a card reader would establish there's no fault with the card, if you know anyone who has one (you could also try the camera on another machine to eliminate that issue).
Slainthe!

Rik

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 15:45 »
If the unit is proved to be faulty, Sian, Sony (or rather, the retailer from which you purchased it), has no option but to honour the warranty.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 15:46 »
If it's less than six months old, it's not even down to the customer to prove it's faulty, rather the retailer has to prove it's not.
Slainthe!

Rik

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 15:52 »
Vaguely on that subject, and knowing your knowledge of consumer issues, Rik, is a warranty still valid if an end user performs a firmware update on a product, and it doesn't fix the problem, or actually makes things worse?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 15:56 »
If the firmware is officially supported by the manufacturer, and made available to the public for use, ie not just available from tech support, then it wouldn't affect the warranty providing it had been done correctly, ie in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Enough weasel words for you there, Simon? ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum