Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Digital camera uploading question  (Read 6803 times)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Digital camera uploading question
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 15:17 »
It's frustrating, Sian, as this should just work without you jumping through any hoops. Do you have access to another computer you could try the camera on?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline gelertdog

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 16:24 »
Hya Rik

Yeah I know what you mean it should work without me having to shell out any more money. Its a bit difficult to try it on another computer immediately due to me not going round anyones house for a bit as they are all at work and I've recently had a baby but I think  will have to sort out checking it one evening sometime if I can! :(

Sian

Offline gelertdog

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 16:25 »
Hya Rik

Yeah I know what you mean it should work without me having to shell out any more money. Its a bit difficult to try it on another computer immediately due to me not going round anyones house for a bit as they are all at work and I've recently had a baby but I think  will have to sort out checking it one evening sometime if I can! :(

Sian

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 16:32 »
Hi Sian,

Sorry we seem to be stabbing in the dark here, but as Rik said, it should just work!

Just an idea, but I wonder if it's worth removing the Sony software, in case that's somehow stopping Windows from using it's own drivers?  It may be a long shot, but I think anything is worth a try at this stage.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline gelertdog

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 19:57 »
Hi

the saga continues...I removed the software but it makes no difference it still isn't recognised and no dcim shows in the f drive and the error message about malfunction mentioned previously came up again.

Sian

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 20:04 »
Hi Sian,

Not being funny, but sometimes we can be looking so deeply at a problem, that we miss the blindingly obvious, so I have to ask, are you 100% certain that the 'F' drive is the correct one for the camera?   :blush:  Unless anyone else has any bright ideas, I'm starting to think that this is a faulty camera, which is why it would be useful if you could test it on another computer, but I understand your situation with the new baby.  Everything OK with him / her?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline gelertdog

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 21:37 »
Hi
Right, here goes, I double checked and tried by plugging camera both usb ports one after another. They both come up as F drives by the way (but when I plug my old Kodak card in a card reader it comes up as G). To start the same thing that was happening before occured i.e no dcim etc (i have not reinstalled the picture motion browser software). Then, i think it said 'initializing' and it went to whole screen and one of my photos appeared followed by another (like a slide show) then it stopped no other photos appeared and I closed it as you would do with a slide show. there was no dcim in the f drive folder and then when i clicked on it again the following mesage came up @ f:\ is not accesible the request could not be performed because of an I/0 device error.  !!!

Sian

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 21:55 »
It's getting a bit over my head now, Sian, and I/O errors are not my bag, but it does seem as though the computer is having trouble reading from the camera (or the camera memory card).  Oh, just a thought, do you have another memory card you could try in the camera?  Just wondering if it might be a dodgy card?  Failing that, I think the next step is to somehow try the camera with another computer, and if it doesn't work, it more or less proves a fault with either the camera or the memory card.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 00:10 »
I think it may be worth having a look in the Device Manager when the camera is connected and then you should see a yellow ! or similar next to something that you can reinstall the drivers on.
Let it see if it can find them by itself but if it cant then load your CD and tell it to look on the CD for the drivers.

Offline gelertdog

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2008, 19:27 »
Hi all

It’s working!! I’ve just done what was suggested above and look in device manager but it said the drivers were up to date but whilst doing that I realised there were two extra USB ports round the back of the computer. I’ve only ever used those at the front and they have always worked. Well it worked and the port I plugged in to recognised my photos and camera! I probably wouldn’t have realised this if I wasn’t following the advice of Sandra  so thanks very much! But thanks to everyone who has persevered with it all (sounds like I’m at the Oscars!) and I now can play around with my new camera to take piccys of my new baby, Reuben who is going on for 4 months old soon! I can’t believe it was so simple in the end but I didn’t realise there were 4 USB ports on my computer!! Thanks again. Sian

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2008, 19:55 »
excellent! have fun with the camera
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2008, 21:12 »
Glad you got it sorted, Sian.  Come back whenever you like!  :thumb:

Offline gelertdog

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2008, 22:01 »
I will. Thanks again all you helped me sort it. Sian

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum