Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Scientific Picture of the Week  (Read 2042 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Scientific Picture of the Week
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:28 »
I know this is a bit sooner than it should be but since I was away last week I thought we could have another...

Best Microscopic Images of 2008 Announced - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/10/photogalleries/best-microscope-photos/index.html

The winner was:

Sinewy filaments within squirming microscopic diatoms, a type of algae, are artificially rainbow hued as a result of being photographed through polarizing light filters.

Captured by retired British microscopist Michael Stringer, the photo took top prize--and U.S. $3,000--in the 2008 Small World Photomicrography Competition, organizers announced on October 15. Sponsored by Nikon, the annual contest showcases "the beauty and complexity of life as seen through the light microscope."
—Photograph by Michael Stringer/photo courtesy of Nikon Small World

but I think my favourite is:

Glowing-hot carbon nanotubes form an expanding orange ball in this image by Paul Marshall of Canada's Institute for Microstructural Sciences, a winner in the 2008 Small World photomicrography competition.

The nanotubes are elongated, hollow cylinders of carbon atoms. To make a carbon nanotube--just 1/50,000 the width of a human hair--a piece of carbon (graphite) must be heated, for example by lasers or electricity. And sometimes, Marshall says, the heated mass of nanotubes grows like a bulb in the spring.
—Photograph by Paul Marshall/National Research Council Canada/photo courtesy of Nikon Small World
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Scientific Picture of the Week
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 09:43 »
It's when you realise how small these things are, it's the detail in the photography which is amazing.  :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline AM

• New Registration
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 19:38 »
This is quite a nice surprise to see this picture on here!  (My dad took it and submitted it to the Nikon competition!)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 20:34 »
cool  ;D
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 20:58 »
Well done to your dad AM.  And  :welcome:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 23:55 »
:welcome:  AM!  Feel free to post any more good pics your Dad has taken!   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline AM

• New Registration
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 00:56 »
I don't have any myself... they are all taken at his work, an area of his life which I stay far out of.  The world of nanotech evades my History/Political Science mind.
He does have some travel ones though which he should be submitting soon.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum