Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Plasma Plants Will Vaporize Trash While Generating Energy  (Read 1640 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/11/12/plasma-plants-vaporize-trash-to-generate-energy/

[Recently St. Lucie County in Florida announced that it has teamed up with Geoplasma to develop the United States’ first plasma gasification plant. The plant will use super-hot 10,000 degree fahrenheit plasma to effectively vaporize 1,500 tons of trash each day, which in turn spins turbines to generate 60MW of electricity - enough to power 50,000 homes! Cutting down on landfill waste while generating energy is a pretty win-win proposition, and the plant will also be able to melt down inorganic materials to be reused for other applications, such as in roadbed and heavy construction./quote]

some interesting pictures on the site...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Plasma Plants Will Vaporize Trash While Generating Energy
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:10 »
Interesting!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 10:57 »
Will the plant generate more power than it consumes?

(I couldn't get the link to load).
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:53 »
Will the plant generate more power than it consumes?

good point Gill - I'm unsure.. I have a feeling it probably will, or once its going it will be self powering... I think it appears to be more of an exercise of getting rid of waste in a more responsibly matter than just burning it. It sounds like it is better than incinerators but I can't find any useful scientific documents with proper numbers..  here is a couple of other links:

http://g2.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/opinion/epaper/2008/10/05/a16a_swartzcol_1005.html

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/11/geoplasma-plasma-waste-to-energy-facility-florida.php
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:59 »
Those links are better :) .

Thanks Sam.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum