Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Bauhn HD PVR.  (Read 8780 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Bauhn HD PVR.
« on: November 16, 2008, 10:45 »
I have been thinking of getting a PVR, and Aldi have a Bauhn one with twin HD tuners and a 250 gig HDD for $299 (130 pounds).

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2867_6432.htm

It doesn't give much of a description as to it's connections, and I can't find anything else about it or the company who makes them.  :dunno:

I was thinking the Humax PVR Smart with twin SD Tuners and a 160 gig HDD, as I like the fact that it has only one aerial imput, which makes life so much easier. And I can get one for about $240.

I could get the Bauhn as it comes with a 60 days satisfaction warranty, and just try it, but my nearest Aldi is a 40 minute drive away.

Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Bauhn HD PVR.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:06 »
I've never heard of the make, but it looks quite good, Kate.  Assuming the HD tuners will also record SD, it seems something of a no-brainer to go for that, instead of an SD only model.  The only thing I would query first, is how it would receive HD transmissions.  Do you need a dish, and if you already have one, would it be compatible?  I don't know what TV systems you have, but here, we have Freeview, which is SD only, received from a standard TV aerial, or Freesat, which is fairly new, and is received via a dish, but can get HD. 

If you have the 60 day return option, I suppose you have nothing to lose by trying it.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 15:36 »
I dont know that make either but I have had a Humax 9200T for almost 3 years now which has twin SD tuners and a 160gig hard drive so I assume its similar to the Humax you can get there. The Humax has performed brilliantly and if I hadnt got my new HD sat box which will take HD terrestrial tuners, when my area gets HD terrestrial in 12 months time, then I would have been getting the HD version of it whenever it came out.

As you already get HD terrstrial in Oz then I suppose its worth giving the HD one a try or wait until Humax or Topfield bring out a HD terrestrial PVR.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 09:04 »
It does seem a good deal Simon, but my main concern is that I can't find any information about it and I would like to know what tuners it has installed. Perhaps a nice drive out west is in order to have a look, at least the price of petrol has come down.

I dont know that make either but I have had a Humax 9200T for almost 3 years now which has twin SD tuners and a 160gig hard drive so I assume its similar to the Humax you can get there. The Humax has performed brilliantly and if I hadnt got my new HD sat box which will take HD terrestrial tuners, when my area gets HD terrestrial in 12 months time, then I would have been getting the HD version of it whenever it came out.

It does sound like the Humax Smart that we have Sandra, as we don't have the 9200T. http://www.humaxdigital.com/australia/products/pvr-smart.asp

As you already get HD terrstrial in Oz then I suppose its worth giving the HD one a try or wait until Humax or Topfield bring out a HD terrestrial PVR.

And it looks like that Humax Australia have one. http://www.humaxdigital.com/australia/products/hd-7000.asp

The discussion on the forums here are saying that the price of Tivo and other products like this with WiFi are bound to come down in price as more PVR's are released into the market.

This is an interesting alternative, but the price..... http://www.oo.com.au/_P18912.cfm

Have you anything like that, there?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 09:28 »
First time I've seen one of those, MB.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:43 »
Interesting concept though. When I said that I wanted everything in one box, I didn't mean the TV as well.  :o    ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum