Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Vista Crap  (Read 5440 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Vista Crap
« on: November 27, 2008, 15:01 »
Sod it, sod it, sod it, I run with three monitors for my charting stuff. in my DIY build running on XP Pro 64 bit, I have a Geforce 7600GT AGP graphics card, and I also have a Matrox G450 series dual head PCI card. Works a treat, no problems at all, giving me the option of running with four monitors.

Comes to install it in my new kick butt Median Quad Core, and even though Vista says it is the right Vista 32 bit driver, it will not let that card be seen  ............oh bugger. It just recognises the PCI Express x 16 GeForce  9600GT dual head that came with the Medion.

If I cannot find a work around  for this, it means the Wife gets the Medion flying machine to play "freecell" on, for Fecks sake   :worthit:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 15:10 by Tony »
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Vista Crap
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 15:18 »
The machines have probably got a good re-sale value, Tony. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 15:20 »
The machines have probably got a good re-sale value, Tony. :)

:laugh:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 19:37 »
Have you altered the gfx card in the bios Tony  :)x

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 11:25 »
Have you altered the gfx card in the bios Tony  :)x

In bios the initial graphics card is default set to PCI- E [ Geforce 9600GT 512MB] works fine, with two monitors running off that card. Insert PCI card [ Matrox G45 series dual head 32MB ]install 32 bit Vista drivers.Reboot, PCI card not working, error code 43, so still only  two monitors on PCI-E working.

Into bios, make the PCI card the initial display, save >reboot................zilch nothing on all three monitors, blank screens all round. Reboot, but enter bios, the system has again set it's self to PCI-E initial display, alter nothing come out, and we are back to PCI-E powering two monitors.

So, close down, remove PCI-E card, alter nothing in bios, reboot with two monitors connected to the PCI card, and there you go it powers up the two displays. So you see bios will find the PCI card once the PCI-E card is removed.

So it proves the PCI card with 32 bit Vista drivers works on Vista, hence no card fault........In fact this cards works alongside a Geforce 7600GT 256MB AGP card, no problem at all, and that is on either W2K Pro 32 bit or XP Pro 64 bit OS's. The Matrox G45 series cards have drivers for all OS's and are a fantastic card compatability wise. They can be used along side either onboard graphics are other stand alone cards.

So as far as I can make out it is Vista that is the problem................the bag of bloated grapical crap exuding bloatware that it is.

I'm sat here with a Intel 4 core Q8200 rig with 4MB Memory with a pass mark score of 3,200 and odd, it eventually boots to login screen.

Press the on button my AMD single core 3700+ with 2MB Memory with a pass mark score of 477, and it flys to the login screen, and that is after it pauses at the dual boot screen for 10 seconds, to seeif I want to boot to W2K 32 bit.

Vista ? my arse.

Edit: And that "Luckypunt " if your still lurking  is how you relay PC problems, to fellow members. It  gives them a understanding of exactly what the issue is, and what measures you have already taken to fix it.

Coming on the board with an attention grabbing  HELP Little Miss important here, I've put the restore CD in my CD drive and now my PC won't work..............and now I'm p**sed off because you lot have not sorterd it for me, so only reply if you can sort it......................is not how it is done.  :o:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:39 by Tony »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 11:49 »
Finished?  ;D 

Just a thought, but can you download Vista drivers for the graphics card that it won't recognise, prior to installing it?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 12:00 »
Finished?  ;D 

Just a thought, but can you download Vista drivers for the graphics card that it won't recognise, prior to installing it?

Installing it?................what is "It" ?  ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 12:01 »
I tried installing my XP Pro 64 bit, but after loading all files prior to installing, it then came up with the blue screen of death. Not a sniff of the......make  a new partition options you usually get. The thought being, lets see if this hardware configeration can live with each other when XP Pro is installed.

So my next idea is to reformat the C: drive, thus eradicating Vista from the drive altogether, and leaving only the back up partition, with the drivers in. Funnily enough though the Medion comes with both Vista 32 and 64 bit operating system disks. It also comes with drivers for XP 32 and 64 bit drivers.

Which I interpet as follows

Microsoft: look we dont care Mr Medion if you and your customers think Vista is crap, you will do as your told under the licencing agreement and ship the bloody thing.

Medion: Yes sir no sir, three bags full sir.

Medion to tech guys.........Do as MS says, but slip in a full set of hardware drivers in for XP 32 and 64 bit OS's. You know it makes sense.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:08 by Tony »

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 12:07 »
I'm over a Sandra's this afternoon, as I have to pick "cough" something up.

She has asked my for pictures of the inside of the Medion ......... if she's lucky, I might just show her the real thing  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 12:07 »
I meant, does the graphics card have Vista drivers you could download, then install the drivers before installing the card?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 12:12 »
I meant, does the graphics card have Vista drivers you could download, then install the drivers before installing the card?

They are in the Matox folder on C: drive from yesterday Simon. And earlier this morning [after putting the PCI card back in my self build PC last night] I gain put it back in the Medion, its not a problem of finding the correct drivers. Windows says the drivers are correct.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 12:17 »
OK.  I'll keep quiet unless I know the answer.  ;)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 12:59 »
 ;D

Offline cavillas

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 16:22 »
I'm sat here with a Intel 4 core Q8200 rig with 4MB Memory
Could it be that you don't have enough memory. ;D ;D