Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Did anybody else notice Sandra and I were  (Read 7608 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Did anybody else notice Sandra and I were
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 01:00 »
As I said earlier I havent actually done it myself and as Tony said I havent got a Medion pc here at the moment to test anything on.
Maybe that program you used doesnt extract the .inf because running the exe may actually create one itself from the .dll, .inx and .iss files as it installs to a folder  ???

Just try running the exe and see what it does  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2008, 17:19 »
np and thanks Tony, but what i understand from Sandra is that was one option to do it, changing AHCI to IDE in bios, but the way i choosed to do it is slipstreaming a new XP cd (n-lite) with all nessary drivers for sata, chipset etc, so that i don't need to change anything in bios at all, but thanks for your support anyway :thumbs:

Hi Proxima, I understand exactly what your trying to do mate. But having read through the thread, I noted Sandra had said, if you wanted anything checking regards what she had done in the bios , that Tony would look.  And I was merely confirming that offer, even though I understood you are attempting to undertake "carpetburn" Option 3.

Incidently, right now already having XP installed, and as I use Acronis True Image, to make a image of C:Drive [for reinstall purposes] I would settle for knowing which drivers I need installing [how and where] regards carpetburn's Option 1

"Enter the bios as sandra did and change AHCI to IDE (this technically is the wrong way as it means if the HDD was external it wont work... Doesnt really matter when installing to a internal drive, will work 100% fine and you can alter the bios back after installing XP and placing all the machines drivers etc on there"

Sandra deleted the Medion's backup partition, I said leave it there[ but you know what women are like  ;) ] The thinking being, if I decided to sell it on or wham it back to Aldi, I could put it back to the default Vista set up. Because unfortunately,without that partition in place with its contents, the rescue disks become usless.

So If I PM you my email address, is there any chance you could, send me a copy of those folders on the Medion backup partition?

Besides, I did notice before that partition was deleted that there was a driver folder on there with not only Vista 32 and 64 bit drivers. But also another folder with XP 32 and 64 bit drivers, which might solve my current problem, of being unable to revert the Bios back to its original settings.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2008, 18:38 »
You cant partially format a drive Tony, thats why we had to delete it  :-*

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2008, 20:26 »
You cant partially format a drive Tony, thats why we had to delete it  :-*

Are you sure Sandra? Basically there were two partitions on the Sata drive. Now I thought you could have deleted the big one and reformatted it, whilst retaining the smaller backup partition. I'm sure I've done that sort of delete partition and reformat operation with Partition Magic. We were only wanting to reformat it because we [at the time] thought something on that partition was stopping us from installing XP. When in fact it was the lack of XP Drivers on the XP install disk that was the problem........all jolly good fun this  :laugh:

Now the next question is, who is Tanketorsk  ;D

Offline axle

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 20:33 »
its no problem to reformat any partion on a drive without altering any other partions on that drive.
As far as windows is concerned they are 2 separate drives.
The only problem with backups etc on a partion of the same drive is that if the drive fails you loose the backup as well.

Tony if you need the stuff off the backup partion I can sort that out for you no problem.  ;D

Offline axle

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2008, 20:43 »
"Enter the bios as sandra did and change AHCI to IDE (this technically is the wrong way as it means if the HDD was external it wont work...

I am fairly sure that a hddrivetogo will still work fine so long as it is connected when the PC is booted up. however it will not work if you try to plug it in after PC is running (hot swappable is disabled).

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 00:07 »
Well we could have deleted and formatted the other two partitions but its always better with a fresh start  ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2008, 00:45 »
Well we could have deleted and formatted the other two partitions but its always better with a fresh start  ;D

Oh you are awful, but I like you  ::) ;D

looks like Proxima or Tanketosk got his step by step guide by carpetburn tonight Medion XP thread  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:24 by Tony »

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 16:44 »

Tony if you need the stuff off the backup partion I can sort that out for you no problem.  ;D

Cheers Stuart,

I'll take you up on that offer, I may have something in the PC software line you might be interested in, PM me.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 11:06 »
I was sure I posted the post below, last night, any how I'll have another go. If its an issue with posting links to other sites, just say so. It's just that when I use information, I like to attribute it to the source it came from, as I think its only right. Of course it could be my age, and I just nodded off  ;D

Anyway

I tried the Option 1 fix regards changing IDE to AHIC, following a link and advice posted on the Medion Support.

And it went as follows:

I used the guide on THIS LINK

For others wanting to do the same with the Akoya P7300 D, here is what I did.

1. Copy /pasted the ICH9R reg edit example [in that first link provided by CB] into Notepad. Saved as instructed, and double clicked to change the registry.

2. Manually copied the iaStor.sys file from the 64 bit folder of the 09.Intel F6 Floppy Utility on Medion Application and Support disk. And pasted it into the Windows\System32\ Drivers folder

3.Rebooted, and entered the bios, changed the Sata setting from IDE option to AHCI, saved and exited.

4. When Windows loaded XP, it found the new hardware, and looked for drivers. So I pointed it at the 64Bit folder in the 09.Intel F6 Floppy Utility on Medion Application and Support disk.

5. Once the drivers were installed, I was instructed to reboot the PC. Which I did and Bingo there it is in Device Manager

By the way, anybody else thinking of doing it, I had my C: Drive imaged with Acronis True Image. With an Acronis rescue disk to hand in case I cocked up, and could not get into Windows.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:20 by Tony »

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 11:11 »
Since I did the changes yesterday, the PC boots up without problem.

I can access and use the DVD drive, see and access and use my USB connected flash drive, or USB connected 2.5 external IDE drive.

But there are two areas that concern me. Firstly when I attempt to boot to a CD drive [like trying to access the PC via a Hirems boot disk] the PC just skips straight through to boot from the hard drive.

In the Bios >Advanced Bios Features

Boot Sequence tab First Boot device [ SATA CDROM IDE]
Second Boot device [ HARD DISK]

Also on entering the Bios > Standard CMOS Features. The Hard Drive and DVD drive are not listed. SATA 1 to 4 all show none.

Like I say, the PC appears to be working fine. As for testing the external SATA connections, I don't have any such drives, so no can do.

any comments or suggestions regards those issues

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 12:09 »
Is there another option in bios for SATA CDROM IDE Tony ?
Not in the boot sequence but in the part where you can set the AHCI or IDE.

When booting a SATA enabled PC you can usually boot from any device without needing to go into the bios. Just press F8 as you turn the PC on and it should bring up the BBS popup which you can then select which drive to boot from.
If you dont pres it early enough then you would get the Safe Mode screen option.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 16:56 »
Sandra,

I have done as you suggested, the results of which I have posted other on the Medion forum. Because not only is it about my Medion, but I'm replying to both you and CB over there in any case. Anybody on here who is interested in my step by step walk in the dark, can register over there, to follow the thread. 

Short story is though doing as you said gave me the option to select >boot from CD< it was to no avail, as both Acronis Rescue, or Hirems would not load. But I have since tried other things and come up with a work round, that gives me access to external SATA drives, but also allows me to access my PC via rescue disks. Normal running mode run as AHCI, to access my PC via rescue disk, all I need do is revert the Bios setting to IDE.

Job Sorted.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 00:36 »
Maybe you could create a rescue disc incorporating the sata driver using that N Lite program Tony ?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum