Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows Updates - Why Do We Do It?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Windows Updates - Why Do We Do It?
« on: December 21, 2008, 18:43 »
Ok, I am not as bad as most, who tend to allow Microshaft to infect their machines automatically, but why do we go to the trouble and use valuable system resources running anti-virus software, firewalls etc. and then deliberately infect our PCs with that most damaging of all rogue programs - the Windows Security Upate?

For the last year, I have been running this PC with Windows XP SP2 and haven't been near the Windows Update site.  I haven't had a single problem with the operating system.  Yesterday, I decided to risk XP Service Pack 3.  As soon as I had deliberately infected the PC with that pile of sh1t, not only would MSN Messenger not start, the mouse was jumping about all over the place and I had two major "Windows has recovered from a serious error" crashes.  I have just uninstalled SP3, Messenger is starting without a problem and the whole system feels like it is back to normal.

I really should know better.  >:(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Windows Updates - Why Do We Do It?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 20:34 »
Have to say, I do allow WUs regularly, and can't recall any serious problems.  Even SP3 installed without a hitch for me.  I wonder if it makes a difference trying to play catch up all in one go, Dave?  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum