Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Stumped! Internet service seriously slow  (Read 6391 times)

Offline Moreno

Stumped! Internet service seriously slow
« on: January 04, 2009, 21:15 »
Hi Guys,

I recently went to my parents house to install a Belkin Wireless Modem Router and replace the Talktalk default modem that they give you. All seems installed fine and when in the admin of the belkin it says it is connected. I also set up security on it. I have tried on two laptops and both show a strong signal between them and the router....so all good so far....

Problem is that the internet is serious slow. Pages wont load, if they do it takes ages! I even tried to do a broadband speed test and I couldnt even get that up and running. I did a speed test via my iphone and I am reading download speeds of 17kb!!!

Can anyone shed any light?

thanks in advance

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Stumped! Internet service seriously slow
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 21:20 »
any ideas what package they are on / how far from the exchange, if I'm right talk talk just use the BT connection don't they?
- sam | @starrydude --

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 23:12 »
Can you do a speed test with http://test.speedtester.bt.com and also post the router stats?  That might give a better idea was to what might be going on.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Moreno

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:45 »
Ok, I couldnt do a speed test as it wouldnt even connect to the page it was so slow....

They are 1.85 miles from the exchange and yes if I recall Talktalk use the BT lines. How can I post the Router stats? What do you need?

thanks

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:19 »
This should help you to find the router stats, but really, the BT speedtest is the most important, as it's the only one which tells what your line profile is.  If you can't get it, though, you can't get it, and hopefully someone might be able to help from the router information.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 10:32 »
Without any data, eg sync speed, noise margin, attenuation and throughput, we can only guess. If this has only happened since you installed the router, the first place I would look is at MTU, or possible interference on the wireless channel. What OS is in use?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Moreno

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:09 »
When I get home I will do a data collection for you and post it.

The OS is XP on this occassion...it was slow before, but nothing like this.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 16:35 »
XP allows you to tweak MTU, so that will be one option to explore.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Moreno

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 13:39 »
Ok, sorry for the delay. I have finally got back round to my parents and have checked the MTU. The MTU was set to 1454 and I have read online that Talk Talk recommend 1432 so have changed to that. I cant manage to find the other info you need.

I have saved the changes and the problem still continues......

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 15:40 »
Can you borrow an alternative router? Really, the only way to proceed now is by a process of elimination, ie see if the router is 'unsympathetic' to the line, try swapping filters, test at the master socket with everything else unplugged (or at the test socket behind the faceplate of the master if it's an NTE5) etc.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Moreno

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 17:18 »
I do not have another router, so I think I may just install the poxy Talk Talk modem back and then test the connection from there. At least then I can narrow it down to the connection or the router.

Each socket has a filter, but can not having a filter really slow the internet up that much?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 17:30 »
If you have anything connected without a filter, eg phone, Sky box etc, it will affect the signal, in all likelihood it will cause it to drop out at times. Similarly, if there are several sockets and the ringwire is connected, that will cause significant noise on the line - I've seen that reduce speed by 1000kbps in a bad, star-wired, setup.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Moreno

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 19:18 »
Ok, I have confirmed that all sockets that are being used have a filter. I have actually just been on the Belkin site and they have a recommendation to bring the MTU down to 1400! I am going to try that also....

Offline Moreno

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 11:45 »
I have cracked it.....

They recently had Sky HD installed and when I unplug the telephone socket from the back the internet goes back to normal. Looks like I will have to get them to call the sky men back to sort this out, it has to be a line problem.

Offline David

• Loyal Member
  • http://Wormdive_2
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 11:58 »
his should help you to find the router stats, but really, the BT speedtest is the most important, as it's the only one which tells what your line profile is.  If you can't get it, though, you can't get it, and hopefully someone might be able to help from the router information.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

This page just times out Simon....could someone try it for me?  :dunno:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum