Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Internet AntiVirus Pro  (Read 4237 times)

Offline WeaveP

Internet AntiVirus Pro
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:43 »
Hello.
My computer has been infected with Internet Antivirus Pro, which constantly pops up messages saying my system is at risk, then i am directed to a site which asks for my credit card details.
I am using Windows XP. I have tried running an anti virus scan with AVG free edition, and running spypot search and destroy, but i cannot get rid of it.
Simply deleting the programme does not work either.
I have read various websites about removing the virus, but i am somewhat confused with all of the different advice.
Is there a simple ( ? free ) way of removing internet antivirus from my system, or can you reccomend a purchase ?
Many Thanks for your help.
Paul

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Internet AntiVirus Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:19 »
Hi Paul,

Try Malwarebytes, and / or Super Anti Spyware, but you'll have to Google them as I can't do links from my phone.

Let us know how you get on.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline WeaveP

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:44 »
Thanks Simon.
I will give those a try.
Is " Internet AntiVirus Pro " a common problem
Paul

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:48 »
Unfortunately these fake antivirus programs are very common Paul.  See http://www.pc-pals.com/smf/index.php?topic=27068.0

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:50 »
And, unfortunately, a lot of them seem to get through AVG.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 13:18 »
Use Malware bytes

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products.php

Make sure you disconnect your computer from the internet cable

Internet AntiVirus Pro will reconnect to the internet and reinstall while you are uninstalling it
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline WeaveP

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 14:01 »
Thankyou for all your replies.
I will certainly try malwarebytes. I have tried other "free" scan programmes which can detect problems, then ask you to register or pay to remove them. Is this the case with malwarebytes.  :)
Really like the forum by the way.

Paul

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 14:01 »
That sounds like a virtumonde varient. Here is the fix page. Just scanning with this tool alone normally won't remove the infection. Look up virtumonde on google. You'll find forums that have pages devoted to just this type of infection.
http://vundofix.atribune.org/

You have one of the biggest pain in the arse malwares there are.

Offline WeaveP

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 14:21 »
Thanks Reno, i will give that a try. Is this malware just annoying or can it steal information such as bank account details ?
Paul

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 16:38 »
Paul, neither Malwarebytes or Super Anti Spyware require payment before removing anything they find,  :)

Offline WeaveP

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 16:45 »
Thanks Simon.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 20:35 »
Thanks Reno, i will give that a try. Is this malware just annoying or can it steal information such as bank account details ?
Paul

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been up at the university most of the day. Virtumonde is a trojan which for the most part is just an ad engine. It has many different variations written by many different people or thieves from all over the internet. Since there are so many different versions I can't tell you that the one you have can't steal your information. Chances are though the only way your information will get stolen is if you buy something or enter your card number through one of those popups.

Can you tell me if you've run a scan with the vundofix and whether or not it solved your problem. The fix isn't updated too often, but it has the option of picking out specified files that you suspect of being part of the virus to be removed manually.

Offline WeaveP

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 20:56 »
Hi Reno
I used this link today :
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products.php
and the " Internet AntiVirus Pro " seems to have completely disappeared from my system, i.e the icons are no longer visible in the bottom right hand corner of the screen ( system tray ) and i no longer get any problems warning of spurious infections. I did have to reboot my computer to complete the process though.
Many thanks for all the advice.
Paul

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 21:03 »
I'm glad davy's tool was able to sort you out. That junk can be real hard to remove sometimes. Its a good thing you got it off.  :thumbs:

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 21:22 »
A lot of the newer infestations are adding themselves to system Restore as welll as a dozen places in the registry
When you try to get rid of them they reinstall themselves from the net
Some are almost impossible to get rid of
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum