Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Advent 4211C Netbook should I buy one?  (Read 5303 times)

Offline Kaz

• Im getting There Slowly But Surely
Advent 4211C Netbook should I buy one?
« on: March 09, 2009, 21:37 »
Hi ALL,
I'm thinking of buying an Advent 211c Netbook.
I would like to know if any of you have got a netbook and if so a lot of them have Linux operating system, I'm not familiar with this I only know XP or Vista.  The Avent is in my price range, but I can go cheaper if I go Linux I know that cheaper is not always best, also I'm assuming that it wouldnt be compatible with my XP or Vista stuff. 
So I wanted to know what you all think as I appreciate your input as always I have included the spec of this and It is £250

The 4211c from Advent is a versatile computer that`s packed with a host of fantastic features. Small in size yet big on performances, the 4211c is equipped with a 1.6 GHz Atom processor and 1 GB RAM, as well as a 120 GB hard drive and a 3-in-1 memory card reader so you won`t run short of storage options.
What`s more, the 4211c provides optimal audio and visual comfort, thanks to its 10-inch screen and built-in stereo speakers. Built with communication in mind, the 4211c also includes WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, not to mention a 1.3-megapixel webcam with a microphone.
The 4211c promises hours of non-stop multimedia entertainment!

Specifications:

RAM - 1024 MB
Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home
Cache Memory - 512 KB
Processor - Intel Atom N270, clocked at 1.60 Ghz
Hard drive - 2.5-inch 120 GB SATA
Video Card - Intel 950 GMA
Screen - 10" WSVGA screen
Resolution: 1024 x 600 pixels
Memory Card Reader - 3-in-1 card reader
USB - Three USB 2.0 ports
Modem/Ethernet Port - Built-in Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 network interface
WLAN - WiFi 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth - Bluetooth 2.0
Additional features - 1.3-megapixel webcam with microphone
Size - 260 x 180 x 19-31.5 mm
Weight - 1.2 kg with 2 batteries
Included Accessories - Mains adapter, battery and user manual

Thanks as always

When you stop having dreams and ideals -- well, you might as well stop altogether.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Advent 4211C Netbook should I buy one?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 21:59 »
Hi Kaz,

I'm not the best one to comment on these, as I bought an Asus Eee PC last year, and didn't get on with it, but they've probably come on  in leaps and bounds since then.  Can I ask where you're proposing to buy it from?  I notice that PC World are offering the 4213, which has a slightly bigger hard drive than the 4211C, for the same price.

I do know that Rik has just bought a Samsung netbook, and is pleased with his.  He'll be here in the morning, and will probably comment.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Kaz

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 22:58 »
Hi Kaz,

I'm not the best one to comment on these, as I bought an Asus Eee PC last year, and didn't get on with it, but they've probably come on  in leaps and bounds since then.  Can I ask where you're proposing to buy it from?  I notice that PC World are offering the 4213, which has a slightly bigger hard drive than the 4211C, for the same price.

I do know that Rik has just bought a Samsung netbook, and is pleased with his.  He'll be here in the morning, and will probably comment.

Hi Simon,
Yes the 4213 does have a bigger hard drive 160g but no Bluetooth  as apposed to 120g with bluetooth but I'm not sure weather I need blue tooth  i have a bluetooth toggle for my phone that I use occasionally so I could just install that on the 4211 the price for the 4211c at pc world is £279.99 I can get it for £249.99
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 23:05 by Kaz »

When you stop having dreams and ideals -- well, you might as well stop altogether.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 23:05 »
Check back in the morning, Kaz.  You'll probably catch Rik here about 11am.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Kaz

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 23:16 »
Ok Thanks

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 08:20 »

Oh those are great... well looking at the picture and make it looks rather similar to the one my girlfriend has. I expect she has an earlier model. It came with XP (and of course it now has ubuntu dual booting with it). The keyboard is full size and I think she is very happy with it. The battery on hers is not the longest lasting but it does the trick. The only real problem with hers is the wifi isn't the most robust (works most of the time though, but sometimes it just won't connect problem - on windows and ubuntu), this was a problem with that model as the antenna was a bit crap.  In short she really likes it, if you are after a nice small laptop then this isn't a bad call.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 10:43 »
Morning Kaz, I got up earlier than Simon expected. ;D

I can only comment on the Samsung NC10, as I haven't tried another. Construction quality feels good, it's finished in piano black. Screen quality is excellent - it beats my notebook by a long way. Battery life seems to be about 6.5 hours. It has wireless, ethernet and Bluetooth built in. As I don't often use ethernet or BT, I've disabled them in device manager, and it looks like that may give me an extra 10% on battery life.

The NC10 ships with XP Home SP3, a raft of Samsung utilities and McAfee AV (90 days). I recommend removing the latter asap. I had to get about 31 updates from MS. On first running the machine, it will create a restore partition to 'factory state' and will, periodically suggest you back up the C drive to an external drive - a bit like Acronis True Image. During that initial creation, it allows you to partition the drive to C & D, suggesting a 70/70 split of the space remaining once the recovery partition is created.

It's very good at acquiring and holding a wireless connection, and is pretty quiet in operation. I do recommend an upgrade to 2GB RAM, which will cost you £15-20. The upgrade process is a five minute job.

The only fault I find with the machine is the touchpad, which is small and fiddly - but I prefer to use a mouse anyway.

You can use function keys to turn off wireless to save battery, to turn off the backlight and to alter brightness and volume. There's also a key to change mode (silent/normal/max performance) and another to run the Samsung diagnostics.

Highly recommended. (It comes with a case, btw, which isn't mentioned in any of the specs I've seen, so don't buy one.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Kaz

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 17:03 »
Morning Kaz, I got up earlier than Simon expected. ;D

I can only comment on the Samsung NC10, as I haven't tried another. Construction quality feels good, it's finished in piano black. Screen quality is excellent - it beats my notebook by a long way. Battery life seems to be about 6.5 hours. It has wireless, ethernet and Bluetooth built in. As I don't often use ethernet or BT, I've disabled them in device manager, and it looks like that may give me an extra 10% on battery life.

The NC10 ships with XP Home SP3, a raft of Samsung utilities and McAfee AV (90 days). I recommend removing the latter asap. I had to get about 31 updates from MS. On first running the machine, it will create a restore partition to 'factory state' and will, periodically suggest you back up the C drive to an external drive - a bit like Acronis True Image. During that initial creation, it allows you to partition the drive to C & D, suggesting a 70/70 split of the space remaining once the recovery partition is created.

It's very good at acquiring and holding a wireless connection, and is pretty quiet in operation. I do recommend an upgrade to 2GB RAM, which will cost you £15-20. The upgrade process is a five minute job.

The only fault I find with the machine is the touchpad, which is small and fiddly - but I prefer to use a mouse anyway.

You can use function keys to turn off wireless to save battery, to turn off the backlight and to alter brightness and volume. There's also a key to change mode (silent/normal/max performance) and another to run the Samsung diagnostics.

Highly recommended. (It comes with a case, btw, which isn't mentioned in any of the specs I've seen, so don't buy one.

Thanks for this Rik,
does it have a microphone with the webcam? as some dont?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 09:29 »
It has both, and the webcam is better than many I've seen.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Kaz

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 14:22 »
Well I'v bought one!
I couldnt get the one I wanted they were out of stock and it doesnt look like they will be having anymore seemd a newer one is coming out but the guy says the 4211C is far better that the newer verion?
So I just poped in Aldi and they had one with a bigger hard drive bluetooth everything I wanted at the right price just setting it up now it's just great! and it's even bigger that my 15'' laptop!!!! all my stuff has installed ok with no problems except one and I need to ask about this but I think I must put it in another section it's about the opperating system it has come with. well thanks again to you all for the help and input you give me it really helps when your not sure about things :thumbs:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 14:50 »
With Aldi, of course, you also have a 30-day moneyback guarantee. Their machine is the MSI Wind, btw.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Kaz

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 15:40 »
Yes 30 d
With Aldi, of course, you also have a 30-day moneyback guarantee. Their machine is the MSI Wind, btw.

Yes 30 days Im very happy with it so far.

Rik what does ''Their machine is the MSI Wind, btw.'' mean please

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 07:49 »
Their machine is the MSI Wind, btw.

MSI wind,  :)x
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 09:14 »
Easily cured with a little bicarb, Sam. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum