Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Manners  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Manners
« on: August 02, 2009, 12:26 »
Good manners are what separate us from lower animals such as pigs and estate agents,
 and that is why we herewith present our guide to the gadget use that brings social shame.

If you catch anyone doing any of the following, advise them to mend their ways at once.

Twitter is a means for the terminally dull to inflict their innate awfulness on the rest of us.

Over 2.5 million people 'follow' Britney Spears; Jonathan Ross has 380,000 people hanging on his every tweet,
 and yet we’re still waiting for them to say anything at all interesting.

Civilisation is being slowly dissolved, 140 characters at a time,
 and when Twitter does finally bring the world to an end,
all that will be left will be cockroaches and Stephen Fry, tweeting about his lunch.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Manners
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:48 »
Amen. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 16:50 »
I'll second that, Rik.  :)

And add that twitter is an apt name, for twits!  ;D
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 17:13 »
I really don't see that it's important to tell everyone what I am doing, second my second, in bursts of 140 characters. It seems only suitable for large egos to me. Maybe I'm missing something?  :dunno:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 17:30 »
Or people that suffer from verbal diarrhoea.

I'm a fairly quiet person, I prefer to be left alone most of the time. I don't like answering the phone most of the time, and if you show up on my doorstep, well that's about as far as you'll get. I like my privacy and hate people who intrude on my personal space.

Friendly bugger, ain't I!   ;D

So I suppose twitter, really wouldn't suit me. A little like the mobile phone Michael gave me, I used it that much, that our provider disconnected me. (for lack of use)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 18:08 »
Now I do confess to using the phone, when I need to. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 21:24 »
I'm a fairly quiet person, I prefer to be left alone most of the time. I don't like answering the phone most of the time, and if you show up on my doorstep, well that's about as far as you'll get. I like my privacy and hate people who intrude on my personal space.

Same here, MB.  The phone irritates me, as people obviously think it doesn't matter what I'm doing, they have the right to disturb me by calling.  That's why, 9 times out of 10, I let the answer phone get it.  I also hate unannounced doorstep callers, and even my best friends know to ring me before they visit.  It's just politeness, in my book.  My home is my home, and nobody has the right to intrude into my personal space, at their own convenience.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 21:24 »
A little like the mobile phone Michael gave me, I used it that much, that our provider disconnected me. (for lack of use)

Must check I'm still connected!   :D

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 02:29 »
Instead of opening the door to unexpected callers, I open the window adjacent to the door (if I bother to open it at all).  The last caller's opening gambit was a cheery, "How are you today?"

I smiled, "Fine, thank you for asking," and closed the window.

He was lucky.  I have a choice vocabulary specially reserved for unsolicited callers.  But I will never forget one Christmas morning when I was helping my mother get the Christmas dinner ready.  She was desperately trying to get all the components of the meal to come together simultaneously when she was interrupted by a knock on the door.  Opening it, she was confronted by a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses who wanted to tell her how much God loved her.  It was the only time I ever heard my mother swear, and boy, did I extend my vocabulary that day!  It was a good job she only had a wooden spoon in her hand, not the carving knife.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 11:16 »
Yes, I've done the "Oh, F**k off!!" thing on JWs too.  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 11:39 »
Same here, MB.  The phone irritates me, as people obviously think it doesn't matter what I'm doing, they have the right to disturb me by calling.  That's why, 9 times out of 10, I let the answer phone get it.  I also hate unannounced doorstep callers, and even my best friends know to ring me before they visit.  It's just politeness, in my book.  My home is my home, and nobody has the right to intrude into my personal space, at their own convenience.

When I was starting to have problems with the management committee, the man in charge used to come by first thing in the morning. He'd ring that damn bell like he was wringing the neck of a chicken. At first I used to get out of bed and answer the door, thinking that he was really quite sweet to care about how things were going. That changed after I had told him that I'd ring if there was a problem and that he didn't need to come over. But he just keep ringing that damn bell and I stopped answering the door. I finally took the bell off the door, so he would pound on the door, not knock, POUND, on the door. I felt besieged in my own home.
I would also find him in the backyard.
One morning he was in the backyard painting the stairs, and he was ripping out the tarragon I had growing under the stairs, telling me it was a weed and I had to get rid of it. I finally convinced him that it was a herb and not a weed, he promised to compensate me, yeah, right!
I put a lock on the side gate.
Later at the tribunal, I was accused off being uncooperative and denying them access. F*&#@!!!!!!!

It's enough to make anyone want to go bush!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 11:58 »
Go bush...  Hmm...  There's an opening in there somewhere.   :devil:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 12:03 »
You wish!  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 12:05 »
 :D

Offline David

• Loyal Member
  • http://Wormdive_2
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 18:51 »
I have no idea what Twitter is..........and no wish to find out  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum