Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Graphics File Conversion  (Read 3060 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Graphics File Conversion
« on: October 03, 2009, 03:24 »
How can I convert graphics files with AI (Adobe Illustrator) and EPS extensions into files with either CDR (CorelDraw) or SVG (Inkscape) extensions?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Graphics File Conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 03:39 »
EPS - that's encapuslated postscript is it? They should be able to be opened by Inkscape without any problems...

AI - I don't know much about those files...

What system are we using here? If its ubuntu then imagemagick should have been installed by default... just pop open a terminal and type:

convert XX.AI XX.SVG and see what happens...(it will take the AI file and write a new file) I dont have a file to give it a go so can't tell you if it works (more info at http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php) but its pretty good with most formats.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 10:35 »
I'm using Vista :ack:

I have been looking for a method to convert various vector graphics into either CorelDraw or Inkscape recognisable formats.  Most open source vector graphics seem to be in either AI or EPS format and are produced by users of Linux operating systems, which is why I asked the question here.  Yet surprisingly, Inkscape does not recognise EPS!

I hadn't heard of ImageMagick but I'm downloading it right now.  Let's see how it goes.  Thanks for the suggestion :) .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 10:50 »
What should I do now I've downloaded it?  The website says to 'launch your Visual Studio IDE'.  How do I do that?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 12:45 »
Sorry Gill, I have no experience of this, and bear in mind, Sam is in Canada now, so there's a 7 hour time difference.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 12:53 »
IAC, Corel should be able to open an EPS file directly... Otherise, download Ghostscript and use that to render the file to another format, or print it.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 13:19 »
I've installed Ghostscript.  Now I'm in the land of the Command Prompt and it's scary!  I've looked at the help documentation here...

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/intro.htm
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/cvs/Use.htm

... and I'm completely bewildered.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 13:39 »
Command Prompt is Rik's world!  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 15:44 »
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 23:47 »
Done that, Rik.

Next?

:)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 00:49 »
I'm not sure about image magik in vista to be honest... my knowledge of vista graphics software stops with "photoshop/gimp" and can you boot up ubuntu! :-D Though I can be a bit of help...

Once you have GSView you should be able to use it to open up the EPS files.... and save it ask a pdf or some such. I'm surprised photoshop/gimp (http://www.gimphelp.org/formats.shtml) didn't open up the EPS files.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 00:50 »
Sorry Gill, I have no experience of this, and bear in mind, Sam is in Canada now, so there's a 7 hour time difference.  :)

Indeed... also doesn't help when Sam is out on a photoshoot some 200km away from Calgary
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 02:19 »
Ach, don't worry folks.  I'll sort something out.

If it wasn't for the fact that Linux has nothing on Vista's TV compatibility (sorry - Myth doesn't cut the mustard yet) and its dependence on the Command Prompt, I'd be inclined to switch.  Linux graphics files are much more adaptable than those of Windows.

Off topic slightly, but I've just discovered the joys of getiplayer.  I wonder if it works in Canada?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 04:30 »
Ach, don't worry folks.  I'll sort something out.

I seriously think GIMP (which works on windows too) is possibly the way to go...

If it wasn't for the fact that Linux has nothing on Vista's TV compatibility (sorry - Myth doesn't cut the mustard yet) and its dependence on the Command Prompt, I'd be inclined to switch.  Linux graphics files are much more adaptable than those of Windows.

I wouldn't say its dependant on the commandline anymore - well maybe with fancy hardware but the average machine now can be loaded with Ubuntu and it will work out of the box (well as well as windows does anyway).... and to install addons you can do all of this graphically. I choose to use the commandline as it puts me in charge and so so flexible... especially when you have a bash prompt... I can convert all of the graphics files I want with one line of code into any other format and rename them all accordingly.

Off topic slightly, but I've just discovered the joys of getiplayer.  I wonder if it works in Canada?

Alas these tools don't seem to work from here (I could probably pipe it through my machine at my parents... but the bbc shows I actually want to see appear as torrents fairly quickly so isnt worth the hassle), actually I've not tried getiplayer (looks like its a nice tool!) but it looks like the backend is based on some code written by a friend of mine (well not really in touch too much now, but we used to live in the same flat in my first year of my degree... http://po-ru.com/projects/iplayer-downloader/)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 11:23 »
Do you reckon you're ever going to look at all those photos again, Sam?  6028 now!   ;D  Some of them, I have to say, are very good, and the Dorothy pics are nice and moody.  :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum