Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Mini Wood Lathe  (Read 19458 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Mini Wood Lathe
« on: November 14, 2009, 18:03 »
I took Maurice shopping today in the new Axminster branch which has just opened in Nuneaton.  Santa's getting me one of these for Christmas :woot: :thumbs:.

It was funny.  We found an assistant who is an experienced wood turner so I could quiz him about their products.  Every time I asked him a question, he directed his answer to Maurice!  It was as if he couldn't believe it was me who was interested in woodwork  :laugh: .

As a matter of interest, Maurice already has a lathe of his own.  It's massive and in a very cold out house which is why I want one of my own to put in my cosy but cramped workshop.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Mini Wood Lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 18:23 »
I've always been fascinated to watch wood turning, seeing an object emerge from a block is almost alchemy, and people make it look so simple, when I'm sure it's not.

How do you sharpen your tools, Gill?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 18:36 »
I know you love your woodwork, Gill, and that looks a great Christmas present!  :thumb:

I agree with Rik, it's wonderful seeing things take shape before your eyes.  I've never had any talents like that, and can't even hammer a nail in straight.  :(
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 18:37 »
I can't even cut in a straight line. Manual dexterity is not my strong point, but I love watching craftspeople at work.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 18:44 »
How do you sharpen your tools, Gill?

We've got a Tormek grinding wheel.  I use it a lot to sharpen chisels (and kitchen knives :) ) but it's great for sharpening gouges too.

If I've got a lot of metal to remove from a tool, as with cheap chisels or hand planes, I like to remove the bulk of it using the 'scary sharp' method which is little more than grinding the surface over progressively finer grades of wet-and-dry paper.

Incidentally, I can't saw in a straight line either - that's why I love my scroll saw and why I think I'll love my lathe.  No straight lines!

Spaniel Portrait
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 18:52 by GillE »
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 18:46 »
Incidentally, again, just to mention, you can post Attachments in here, Gill, by using the Reply button, and hitting Additional Options.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 18:49 »
Okay, Simon - I'll do that in future.  Actually, that image is hosted online so perhaps I'll amend my post to just have a link.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 18:52 »
Do you need steady hands though, Gill. I always find I seem to round the edge, rather than grind a cutting angle. :(

Like the dog, it makes me want to take up screen printing again.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 18:54 »
Okay, Simon - I'll do that in future.  Actually, that image is hosted online so perhaps I'll amend my post to just have a link.

Oh, it's not a problem either way, Gill, I just thought I'd mention it, because some people find attachments easier.  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 20:45 »
I know a couple of people who have lathes and other woodworking tools but I don't think they have ever used them!  My brother-in-law has two lathes complete with lots of accessories and he has never made a thing with them.  He mentions them quite often though.  :dunno:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 21:03 »
Do you need steady hands though, Gill. I always find I seem to round the edge, rather than grind a cutting angle. :(
We're talking about sharpening tools?  There have been whole books written on sharpening because so many people find it difficult.  Yet it can be quite simple.  The key is to start off with decent quality tools which will hold an edge.  The stuff you buy from the DIY sheds are often made from inferior grade materials - it's far better to shop somewhere like Axminster Power Tools, Isaac Lord or Brimarc and look for reputable brands such as Lie Nielsen, Veritas, Trend and so on.  Some people question the value of a hand plane which costs £200 when they can buy one from a DIY shed for £12.  Yet our forefathers expected to have to pay the equivalent of a week's wages to buy a hand plane, and many of those old planes still work beautifully whereas the modern cheapos often get chucked away after only a couple of attempts.

Grinders like the Tormek are great if you do a lot of woodwork and can justify the expense.  The Tormek has a variety of jigs which you can buy to make sure that you maintain the correct angle and can sharpen gouges without turning over edges.  It uses a water-cooled sharpening stone at a very low speed so the user has a lot of control over the process and there is practically no danger of over-heating the item being sharpened.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 21:10 »
Like the dog, it makes me want to take up screen printing again.

I don't get the canine reference, but I had a bash at silk screen printing once.  It must have been almost twenty five years ago and I loved it!  I just wonder if people appreciate the skill involved nowadays.  For most people, it would be easier now to print a design off their computer and iron it onto a tee shirt.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 00:26 »
Rik just meant he liked the spaniel portrait, Gill.  :)

I have tried those iron on transfers, but the trouble is, they iron off again too!   :blush:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 11:28 »
We're talking about sharpening tools?  There have been whole books written on sharpening because so many people find it difficult.  Yet it can be quite simple.  The key is to start off with decent quality tools which will hold an edge.  The stuff you buy from the DIY sheds are often made from inferior grade materials - it's far better to shop somewhere like Axminster Power Tools, Isaac Lord or Brimarc and look for reputable brands such as Lie Nielsen, Veritas, Trend and so on.  Some people question the value of a hand plane which costs £200 when they can buy one from a DIY shed for £12.  Yet our forefathers expected to have to pay the equivalent of a week's wages to buy a hand plane, and many of those old planes still work beautifully whereas the modern cheapos often get chucked away after only a couple of attempts.

Grinders like the Tormek are great if you do a lot of woodwork and can justify the expense.  The Tormek has a variety of jigs which you can buy to make sure that you maintain the correct angle and can sharpen gouges without turning over edges.  It uses a water-cooled sharpening stone at a very low speed so the user has a lot of control over the process and there is practically no danger of over-heating the item being sharpened.

I'm a great believer in buying the best tools you can afford, they really make a difference. Same in the kitchen, we recently replaced the pans with Le Creuset tri-ply and the knives with Global. The latter are a joy to use, they cut so well. I'd also recommend Donald Russell's stake knives and carving set - their blades take a wonderful edge.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 11:29 »
I don't get the canine reference, but I had a bash at silk screen printing once.  It must have been almost twenty five years ago and I loved it!  I just wonder if people appreciate the skill involved nowadays.  For most people, it would be easier now to print a design off their computer and iron it onto a tee shirt.

The design of the spaniel cut out just made me think of a stencil.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum