Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Into digital photogaphy?  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Into digital photogaphy?
« on: November 15, 2009, 17:47 »
Throughout my working life, we calibrated monitors using equipment from Gretag MacBeth, costing thousands of pounds. For the hobbiest, the concept of hardware calibration was a dream, few of us could afford the equipment (or borrow it  :)).

Pantone, the leading name in colour matching, has entered the market with a product called the Huey. Made for them by Gretag MacBeth, the Huey is a domestic-level hardware colour calibration tool.

http://www.pantone.co.uk/pages/products/product.aspx?ca=2&pid=79

It's a light device, a bit smaller than a pen. The software is installed first, then the Huey is plugged into a USB socket. It comes with a stand, and a USB extension cable. Both cables are very light weight and flexible.

When the hardware has been recognised, you start the calibration process from the Huey icon in the system tray. The first thing it does it to measure ambient light, then it puts a target on the screen and asks you to position the Huey over the target. It has very fine, soft suction cups for the purpose. Given the cost of the monitor, I was a little wary, but it causes no harm.  :)

The software then runs a test pattern under the Huey, a series of colours followed by a grey scale. At the end of the test, it shows you a colour photo and palette, and you can switch between corrected and uncorrected. The differences vary between monitors, but it does neutralise greys and give a good tonal balance. After use, the difference between a print and the screen was minimal. You can switch between modes at any time.

The final option you are given is to have the Huey monitor ambient light and adjust the screen accordingly. You can set an interval from 10 seconds upwards. I found that this feature worked well.

The Huey works like the professional units, creating a colour profile for the monitor (System32\spool\color). However, it also sits on the video driver itself, adjusting output on the fly.

Testing with an image which needed to have some colour correction in Photoshop, I found I was easily able to make the adjustments by eye, and deliver a matched print in a few minutes. Previously, with an 'eye calibrated' monitor, I would have expected to make some adjustments after seeing a test print.

If you're serious about digital photography, I recommend this device, it will get the best out of any monitor.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Into digital photogaphy?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 17:56 »
I like things like that.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 18:02 »
Trust me, it's money well spent, you recoup the cost in not wasting paper and ink.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 18:11 »
shame its just a windows device, though I bet there must be mac ones out there (doubt any would work effectively with linux yet though)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 18:18 »
It supports Macs, Sam, but not Linux that I can see.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 18:21 »
yeah, could be fairly difficult to even build in the support for it - most windows devices can easily be imported but something like this might well be fairly tricky. Though I guess most people who are serious photographers use windows or a mac anyway... though there are some pretty good packages for photo manipulation (then again they are mostly cross platform anyway!)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 18:24 »
Would the Mac Unix base help do you think?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 19:12 »
possible... I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing could get it working.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 20:39 »
Trust me, it's money well spent, you recoup the cost in not wasting paper and ink.

It's not likely to make my blues blue again though, is it?  :bawl:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 09:25 »
It might if your monitor is really screwed, but I suspect not in your case.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 09:49 »
Same here.

Offline David

• Loyal Member
  • http://Wormdive_2
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 19:30 »
Can I join in and bore you all rigid too ?  :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 19:40 »
Or course!  The more the merrier!  ;D

Offline David

• Loyal Member
  • http://Wormdive_2
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 19:51 »
Sarcy git  ;D  :rofl:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 21:36 »
You can post attachments here.  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum