Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Aldi Medion  (Read 19849 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Aldi Medion
« on: November 16, 2009, 23:43 »
Is the Medion which is on sale this Thursday good value?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 23:55 by GillE »
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Aldi Medion
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 23:48 »
I'm getting a link to Google Mail there, Gill. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 23:56 »
Sorry  :blush: .  I think I've corrected the link now.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 00:49 »
:thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 00:55 »
Unusually for Aldi/Medion this one isnt particularly good value Gill. Its gimmicky with having the touch screen, which some may like, but a lot of people are complaining about the lack of HDMI, as most of the recent Medions have had those.
A lot of people are hoping that they will bring out another PC in time for Xmas. If they follow the pattern of previous releases then they should have a very powerful and well specc'd PC out in a couple of weeks which should be excellent value for money.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:27 »
Thanks for that, Sandra :) .  I'll hold my fire for the time being.

Maurice will be delighted!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:45 »
Well, you've got your lathe.  ;)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:45 »
Also, they've fitted 4GB of RAM but installed a 32-bit OS, so you're paying for unused RAM.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 11:05 »
Tell me more about the amount of RAM and the type of OS, Rik, if you'd be so kind :) .  What size RAM do you need for a 32-bit OS and what do you need for s 64-bit OS?  Also, isn't it a good idea to have surplus RAM for programs running in the background?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 11:24 »
The most RAM a 32-bit version of Windows can support, Gill, is a tad over 3GB. The extra address space up to the 4GB which a 32-bit OS can use, is assigned to the graphics card and system (so the more RAM on your graphics card, the less RAM available for use). A 64-bit OS goes up to some huge amount of RAM, which I can't recall off hand, but in the case of Windows, it's limited to 128GB.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 23:08 »
I do like Medions though... my desktop back in the UK was a great find.. was so pleased I bet the other people to get one.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline JK

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 00:26 »
Yes it's very very good value.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 14:01 »
Does this latest offer seem to be better value?

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 14:42 »
Mine is a Medion Akoya that was on offer in Tesco, September 2008.  Because it was ex-display (they'd flogged all the rest), I picked it up for £219.  The CPU is an Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad processor and it came with 3GB of (single channel) RAM and a 1TB drive. I wasn't thrilled about the sound, graphics and storage, so I've since added a further 1TB drive, Creative X-Fi Elite Pro sound, Gigabyte GTS250 1GB graphics and recabled throughout.  Also, because it seemed to be struggling a bit after I'd stuffed all that lot up its jumper, I replaced the puny 350W PSU with a Hiper 800W jobbie which seems to be coping very nicely.  Oh yes... and it now has a floppy drive too!

Modifications notwithstanding, I'd say the one I bought was a good, stable, entry-level machine, but do shop around.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 15:33 »
That's interesting, Rodders.  I see Tesco has a Medion Akoya which is only £280 although it has a lower specification.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum