Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Climate Change - The Unreported Story?  (Read 3949 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Climate Change - The Unreported Story?
« on: November 21, 2009, 01:33 »
In these days of 24 hour news stations broadcasting reports of stolen sensitive data (such as today's T-Mobile story), I find it surprising that there have been no reports of the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit computer security breach.  It has received some low level newspaper coverage and it has been commented on by James Delingpolebut it still isn't being regarded as a headline story.  Perhaps journalists are still investigating it.

Apparently, a large amount of email correspondence between leading climate change scientists has been stolen, revealing that the data presented to support the notion of man-made climate change has been deliberately manipulated.  If this story proves to be true, it will make Watergate look like neighbourhood tittle-tattle.

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Climate Change - The Unreported Story?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 01:46 »
Oops!  :o: 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 04:35 »
all of this data is manipulated - that's the process of science... its just depends what they mean by manipulated... for example I "smooth" a lot of my data to remove global trends and thus allows us to get a result - otherwise it would just be noise...  :dunno:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 05:37 »
now I'm a bit up-to-speed - what with observing all night I've only just got to check the web feeds from yesterday, looks like this story has recieved quite a bit of coverage on the web though:

Leading British climate centre hacked - http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=leading-british-climate-centre

and a must read article on RealClimate - The CRU hack  - http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/11/the-cru-hack/

I just feel that these are people's emails and its private correspondence and totally irresponsible for people to publish them. People write crap in emails and well this is just a bit pointless.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:40 »
People write crap in emails and well this is just a bit pointless.

People also write crap in reports, Sam. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 12:19 »
And it's compulsory in newspapers.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 14:13 »
Some of us have been wondering for years why the climate change scientists won't publish data which will end the claims of sceptics once and for all.  I accept what you're saying, Sam, but this looks very bad for the IPCC and its ancillary bodies.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 18:06 »
People also write crap in reports, Sam. :(

true, but normally its cause they are misguided etc - the referring processes however is designed to avoid most crap getting through
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 18:07 »
Some of us have been wondering for years why the climate change scientists won't publish data which will end the claims of sceptics once and for all.  I accept what you're saying, Sam, but this looks very bad for the IPCC and its ancillary bodies.

indeed.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 05:07 »
Some further interest post event discussion:

Scientist: Leak of climate e-mails appalling - http://www.physorg.com/news178199129.html

Very interesting stuff:

The CRU hack: Context - http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/11/the-cru-hack-context/
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 13:03 »
Interesting comments, Sam :) .  However, you would think the scientists concerned would be prepared to end the speculation by simply publishing their raw data.

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 15:24 »
Well I for one believe that as long as we pay our taxes to support these people in university's and government to do all this investigating it should all be public

after all we pay for it so why shouldn't we be able to judge for ourselves

Why keep it secrete if they are not trying to hide something from us

There is just to much money involved for it to be 100% honest
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 17:09 »
There's probably a lot of truth in that, Dave.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 17:36 »
Well I for one believe that as long as we pay our taxes to support these people in university's and government to do all this investigating it should all be public

yeah tis kinda odd as all data in astronomy (well data taken by instruments built with public money) has a short proprietary time (give the actual investigators time to publish their results) and then it becomes all free to anyone to access (of course its not entirely accessible but its there). With the age of the virtual observatory it will soon be possible for anyone to do astronomical research... well I guess it is now. That's how science should be, nice and transparent.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 17:48 »
I didnt mean specifically astronomy sam they are probably the most open about it all

With the exception of any of you finding little green men then I'm sure we wont hear about it soon lol

It's the ones doing genetic reschearch and the like it affects our lives but mos`t of the paper work is not published for us to decide or its published one sided toagree with the personal preferences of the rescearcher themselves
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum