Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 30,000 UK ISP Users Face Threat Letters For Suspected Illegal File Sharing  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
:nerves:  Although, I knew there was an advantage to being a leech.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
It's noted that 25,000 of the IP addresses that have been collected belong to BT users.

There's a moral here.

I should imagine it's also an advantage for people who use file sharing services to have a dynamic IP address?  Rik?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
If you are downloading or uploading from something like Bit Torrents then the IP will be the same for the duration of your transfers Gill, so if someone is monitorin the traffic and IP addresses at the time then they will have a record of your IP regradless of whether it is static or dynamic. They can then cross check with the ISP as to who was using that particular IP at the time they checked it.

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
Im glad I cant even spell P2P lol

what are they gonna do about the ones that are not in the UK lol
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Exactly.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
The Entertainment Industry is a Leech itself with the high prices charged for everything, they are leeching the Publics cash. First of all they charge exhorbitant prices to buy the albums, and then the manufacturers who make the players etc are constantly upgrading systems etc making people buy new gear. The same applies to the DVD producers. Most of the companys making players have a large stake in the film and music industry as well; the likes of Sony. No wonder folks have the urge to get music and films on the cheap.

They cry that "We are not making money!" Ive just read that Simon Cowell is making 10 Million pounds from the X Factor tour alone, apart from the TV rights, and the finalists are making £55,000 each; whats this all about if no one is making money?

Its the same old story with entertainment, and that is greed. Greed killed the small theatres around our Seaside Towns with TV Stars charging fees out of proportion to their talent. The artistes of today are crap when compared to the stars of yesterday, but charge and expect to get fees that are out of this World, giving rubbish value for money.

:grrr:
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
I agree with a lot of that, DG. The amount people earn from having no talent these days, is obscene.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I should imagine it's also an advantage for people who use file sharing services to have a dynamic IP address?  Rik?

What Sandra said, Gill. At any time, an ISP has a record of the IP you are using. If they want to, then can also say what site you were on at the time.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
I agree with a lot of that, DG. The amount people earn from having no talent these days, is obscene.

Yeah, most of the current Liverpool footy team earn in excess of £50000 a week.  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
What Sandra said, Gill. At any time, an ISP has a record of the IP you are using. If they want to, then can also say what site you were on at the time.

AAMOI, how far do those records go back, Rik?  I was just thinking, if someone has a dynamic IP, presumably, at some point, someone else would have had that same IP, and if they had been using it for 'naughty' purposes, could that come back on the current 'owner' of the IP?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
No, because the IP address is logged to the user for any given time or date. What dynamic IPs can produce is more attacks, because previously they've found an open machine there.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Ah, right.  Simples!  :)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
No hiding place, in summary. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Thanks for clarifying that, everyone.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum