Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Why eco-light bulbs aren't what they seem  (Read 13826 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Why eco-light bulbs aren't what they seem
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 12:01 »
Sounds like a lot of work, Tony.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 15:52 »
I find there are too many variables to identify the effect of individual changes, Tony. For example, a mild winter or a cool summer, the amount of sunshine which heats the house, how much lighting you need on dark days, how many times you use the washing machine or dishwasher etc.

The reason the thermostat is in the hall is that it can respond to the inrush of cold air when the door is opened.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 19:07 »
What an excellent idea Tony.  I've got all my bills for the last few years so it would be worth my while to start a spreadsheet too.  I've had new windows and a further 11" of loft insulation this year so I'm hoping my bills will be lower.  Unfortunately I switched to EDF (Sainsbury's Energy) a year ago and my bills have soared during the last 6 months.  However, I've now changed back to British Gas so I'm expecting them to fall again.  

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 21:17 »
I've been with Powergen, now E-On, for a couple of years, and I don't tend to monitor the markets too closely.  However, if they suddenly put my direct debit up again this year, I may start looking around.  Prices are so up and down, I'm not sure whether it pays, in the long run, to keep switching suppliers.  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 09:15 »
I find there are too many variables to identify the effect of individual changes, Tony. For example, a mild winter or a cool summer, the amount of sunshine which heats the house, how much lighting you need on dark days, how many times you use the washing machine or dishwasher etc.

Well yes there are variables, but the deeper you drill down on the data the more accurate it becomes. For instance I take meter readings every month.

The reason the thermostat is in the hall is that it can respond to the inrush of cold air when the door is opened.

That is the logic behind retail premises entrances.But controlling temperatures for a domestic residence is a different ball game, like I say I don't live in my hallway. 

Simon, every time my provider informs me they are putting my direct debits up. I do the numbers, and inform them they are wrong, leave the direct debits as is. Because for the most part, this altering of direct debits is just a way them getting their customers to fund their cash flow. Why borrow millions of the bank at 8% interest or whatever, when you can borrow it off your customer base for bugger all.

Rule One in Life is: every thing they [they being every organisation, be it governmental or corporate] tell you, it's sole purpose is to part you from your money, Period.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:58 »
The utility company's are worse than the banks and do take a bit of watching.

I also keep a track of my usage and do a regular comparison.

Simon it's dead easy and no hassle, only takes 2 minutes here

I'm with Eon too and 6 months ago i was on the cheapest available but did a comparison last week to see i could save £150 odds changing supplier or £122 switching product with Eon. I called Eon and said i had seen a better tariff and she also told me there n then it was their cheapest tariff for me and would save me £122 PA and switched me there n then.  :thumbs:

My usage is around 6000 KWh PA for Elec and 824 units (26400 KWh) PA for Gas  :nerd:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 10:37 »
Well yes there are variables, but the deeper you drill down on the data the more accurate it becomes. For instance I take meter readings every month.

So do I Tony, and have done for the 23 years I've lived here. There is a clear upward trend in electricity consumption as we have bought more electrical equipment, particularly vampire equipment. There is a ripple, which tends to coincide with how much we use the dishwasher and washing machine. Gas, otoh, showed a big drop after we got the cavity wall insulation done, but has then remained reasonably constant, varying with the ambient temperature, which I also record, and the amount of cooking done.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 18:30 »
I'm with Scottish Power online and every quarter if they try to raise my DD I phone them and tell them I will pay the debit balance and to leave my DD alone.  They don't like it but I threaten to leave them if they don't do what she who has to be obeyed says.  :devil:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 18:42 »
Yes, they only want to change the direct debit so they can grab more money up front.  E-On tried that with me, and I refused, so they did it anyway the following quarter.  I really must start looking elsewhere.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 18:43 »
I've found E.On to be OK, oddly.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 19:03 »
They are, they just seem very keen for you not to owe them anything.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 19:08 »
I've never had a problem with that, either. If my calculations tell me I'm overpaying, I just call them and tell them to reduce the DD. Note that I don't ask them to. ;D Of course, being nearer to Nottingham might help.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 19:36 »
Of course, being nearer to Nottingham might help.

:dunno:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 19:47 »
It's where their call centre is. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 20:08 »
So they think you'll pay them a visit?  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum