Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: UK lags behind in broadband speeds  (Read 608 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
UK lags behind in broadband speeds
« on: January 13, 2010, 21:15 »
The UK comes only 26th in the league table of average broadband speeds in research carried out by web monitoring firm Akamai.

South Korea heads the list, well ahead of nearest rivals Japan, Hong Kong, Romania and Sweden. Ireland comes sixth in the list.

Speeds were measured during the third quarter of 2009 with South Korea achieving 14.6Mbps, Japan 7.9Mbps, Hong Kong 7.6Mbps, Romania 6.2Mbps, Sweden 5.7Mbps and Ireland 5.3Mbps.

The UK's average broadband speed is not published in Akamai's State of the Internet report, though it does say that 71 per cent of UK broadband lines reach speeds of over 2Mbps.

A recent report carried out by Broadband.co.uk reckoned that the average broadband speed in the UK was 4.4Mbps.

Globally, the average broadband speed, according to Akamai, is 1.7Mbps. However, the company did name some of the cities in the world enjoying the fastest broadband.

Lausanne in Switzerland has an average speed of 24.7Mbps, making it the top city in Europe, though it isn't the fastest in the world – that honour goes to Sandy, Utah, USA, with a speed of 33.4Mbps.

And despite the dominance of South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong, the Asian city with the highest average broadband speed is Beersheva in Israel, with a speed of 25.1Mbps.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re: UK lags behind in broadband speeds
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 22:40 »
No need to worry in the slightest!

With the help of Entertainment Industry lawyers, our Government has devised a bold and cunning plan to really speed things up, by making it illegal to download stuff through the use of a P2P client.  This will soon result in our position zooming up the broadband speed table to nearly 20th, or something.

Makes you go all votey, doesn't it.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 22:49 »
My current broadband speed is a blistering 104 kbs which must help to push the UK's average down quite a lot!  BT seems to think it's quite adequate and will not do anything about it.  Needless to say I am about to become an ex-BT customer. 

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:39 »
It took you long enough, Clive. ;D :scoot:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:10 »
Although O2 don't operate landlines, one of their telesales assistants has promised to call us back in a couple of weeks to discuss landlines.  It was His Lordship who spoke to the assistant, not me, so that's all the info I have.  I'm currently with BT for my landline but use the O2 ISP/mobile phone package.  It would be great to switch everything over to O2.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 15:42 »
If they have LLU presence, adding voice is very simple, Gill.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum