Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Funny Screen  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
Funny Screen
« on: April 14, 2003, 18:57 »
When I have logged into my computer today there seems to be a problem with my screen. All the symbols on my desktop are bigger and the screen is sort of distorted. This also affects me when I am on the internet and the page is constantly refreshing. I haven't changed anything so I am not sure what may have caused it. Any ideas?

Adept

Re:Funny Screen
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 19:09 »
Sounds like your screen resolution has changed Whiskas.

The reason it's distorted is probably because your monitor hasn't been adjusted for that resolution yet.

The solution should be fairly simple  :-\ ;)

Go to Control Panel and choose the Display icon. Click the Settings tab. You should have a slider control marked Screen Resolution. It is probably set to 640 by 480 pixels right now. Set it to the next notch up (800 by 600 pixels). Press OK.

Your normal desktop should be restored :)

Multiple typos corrected - and I haven't even been drinking ;)

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 19:28 »
Just tried that Adept but it won't let me increase to 800 x 600 for some reason it will not allow me to move the slider up I have also noticed That I only have 16 clours rather than 256 but unable to change that either as the option is no longer there ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 19:33 »
Looks like the drivers gone awol on you Whiskas.Have you tried rebooting and seeing if it sorts itself out?Failing that try upgrading drivers,you may need your CD again.

Adept

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 19:39 »
OK Whiskas, I was afraid of that :(

It sounds like the screen driver has failed for some reason. You should be able to verify this by looking in Control Panel | System on the Device Manager tab.

If the display driver has a problem you should see a yellow exclamation mark next to whatever is in the display adapters section.

You need to re-install the driver to get your normal desktop back. Do you have a driver disk handy?

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 19:41 »
I have tried rebooting a few times but to no avail does that mean I will have to reformat the whole drive?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 19:44 »
No its just the driver you need to reinstall more than likely.As Adept said you need to look in the device manager to see if it shows as ok or not.

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 19:45 »
I've had a look and there isn't an exclamation mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2003, 20:38 »
Sorry for the delay Whiskas,my timer beeped on the microwave as I was about to answer and I thought Adept would have sorted you out  :(

When you got your motherboard and CPU ugraded did the guy give you a cd with the drivers on for the display and sound etc?If he did do the following,if not get back to me or go into Pals chatroom and we can go through it there maybe easier.
Go to Control Panel,Display,click on Settings(Far right Tab at top),Adapter then click on change.Put your Cd in the drive and click next,make sure its marked search for better drivers then next,then tick the box next to cd rom and click next.
All being well it should find them off the CD and install them.It wil probably want to reboot so do that then see if you can set the resolution and colours to what you had before,probably 800 x 600 and 16 bit colours.

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2003, 21:12 »
Unfortunately they did not give me a cd with the drivers on I could try ringing them tomorrow to dsee if I can get them. I also tried reformatting but it won't let me do that either

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 21:38 »
Sandra that has fixed it, you are a star thank you :-*

Adept

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2003, 21:43 »
Sorry I dropped out there Whiskas, my PC was on the fritz too. It happens :(

Sandra's put you on th eright track though. If your computer man can't help, let us know and we'll try and identify your graphic card's chipset for you :)

Edit: oops I see I'm too late :-[

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2003, 21:45 »

my PC was on the fritz too.

Physician - heal thyself.   :heehee:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum