Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Static / Dynamic IP  (Read 2165 times)

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Static / Dynamic IP
« on: April 15, 2003, 17:54 »
I sent Pipex an e-mail enquiring about whether it would be possible to have a dynamic, instead of a static IP address.  I was expecting them to say no, but I got this reply:

Dear Customer,

Thanks for the email. In order to change from a fixed IP address to a dynamic IP address, you will need to send an email to the customer service department. The email address is customerservices@pipex.net. With a dynamic IP address it would be possible to connect more than one computer to the network without assigning any IP address.

Kind Regards.
Isaul Karim.

So what do I do?  It seems it might be possible to change, but what, if any, would be the pros / cons of doing so?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

Re:Static / Dynamic IP
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 18:51 »
It really depends on whether you'll ever want to connect a server of some kind to the Internet.

Having a static IP address makes this easier, because you can either access your server directly via the static IP or buy a domain name and point it at that static IP.

You can achieve the same effect with a dynamic IP but it takes a lot more work.

As long as you are fully firewalled, having a static IP shouldn't be a problem. Unless of course, you happen to get your IP on a blackhole list somewhere eh Rod?

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 19:02 »
Hmm, I hate making decisions like this!  The trouble is, there's no way back if I choose to switch to a dynamic IP.   :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 22:22 »
I think that youll find that we are already on a dynamic IP Simon its just that its "Sticky"  :-*

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 22:29 »
Mine is supposed to be dynamic too but it rarely changes.

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 22:29 »
Oh, that's it, confuse me!!   ::)  Isn't that the same thing then?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 22:42 »
In theory ours should change but in practice it tends to stay as the same one but it is officially a dynamic one.
It appears that some people have been asking pipex to make their IP a truly dynamic one that changes each time they connect,probably in the mistaken belief that they are at risk of being hacked by keeping the same IP  :-*

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 23:06 »
As Adept points out, a static IP is preferable to a semi-static one or dynamically allocated one if you're going to run a server.

I believe my IP was blacklisted because I was online and particularly active when a DDoS attack was taking place, but you can also inherit a cursed IP!

Blackhole servers should never list dynamic IPs because these get swapped and passed around an ISP's users, but in my case, one over-zealous blackhole list did -- with almost disastrous consequences, until I finally mangaged to release my very stubborn IP!

Anyone using a dynamic IP runs a very small risk of being given a blackholed IP address, but it should only happen with a static address if you've been very naughty.

Hope this helps.

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 23:25 »
Well, on balance it seems that I might as well keep the static one.

Thanks for all the comments folks.   :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum