Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Ubuntu 10.04 delivers usability, strength  (Read 1911 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Ubuntu 10.04 delivers usability, strength
« on: April 19, 2010, 14:34 »

Here's what finally convinced me that Ubuntu was worthy of the average desktop user: I installed it on my Mom's computer. Clichéd, but true. Actually, this happened quite some time ago, so this is not necessarily news. But it's key to note that I indicated "average" desktop user. While I was very willing to recommend Ubuntu for users who just needed to handle day-to-day operations like surfing, e-mail, word processing, and the like, I was personally holding back from using it myself, preferring instead to use openSUSE, which enabled me to complete more advanced tasks, like video editing and conversion, pretty easily.

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-04-19-001-35-RV-UB
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Ubuntu 10.04 delivers usability, strength
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 14:47 »
It would be an interesting experiment to get two people who have never sat in front of a computer before, give one of them a Ubuntu machine, and the other a Windows machine, and see who got further with it on their own.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 14:58 »
I've used Ubuntu before with the pensions at my church and they seemed to like it but then again all they really wanted/ needed was a big button that said internet and that it was secure without thinking.... so maybe something just firefox only os would work best... they seemed to get on well with ubuntu though.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 16:13 »
Interesting.  I wonder if perhaps more 'older' people who haven't used a computer before, would find Ubuntu easier to use than Windows?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 16:16 »
If you have to start learning from scratch, there's probably not a lot to choose.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 16:19 »
True.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:27 »
If you have to start learning from scratch, there's probably not a lot to choose.

apart from the internal waiting around for windows todo things isn't an issue...  :dunno:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 18:45 »
That depends on the hardware as well though, doesn't it?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 00:59 »
of course, but then again Ubuntu uses the hardware better (well more efficiently)... and doesn't get clogged up in the same way windows can. Of course end of the day the average Linux user probably has a better knowledge of things and so tends to buy a better machine not the crap you can get from Curry's. Then again my laptop came from pc world, but it was well researched.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:56 »
For the average user, PC World is OK, but you can nearly always better their prices by shopping round.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 11:07 »
Especially online.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum