Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Ubuntu 10.04 problem  (Read 3404 times)

Offline psp83

Ubuntu 10.04 problem
« on: May 01, 2010, 14:30 »
I installed 10.04 as a VM. I already have other ubuntu versions and ubuntu mint installed as a VM with no problems (using VMware player)

But with 10.04, It gets to the login screen and then my keyboard doesn't work but my mouse does.

Keyboard & Mouse is a desktop set from microsoft. Its the Wireless Laser 7000 version.

Any ideas how to get the keyboard working ?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Ubuntu 10.04 problem
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 15:59 »
Sam will be along shortly, Paul. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 16:03 »
I'll take a more detailed look later - however, there have been quite a few issues with the latest version of Ubuntu - I've run it in a VM and then had graphics issues, hopefully they will be addresses shortly.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 16:32 »
did the keyboard work in the VM?

I assume that its usb. Could be a device issue, do you have another you could try it with?

If you have no keyboard it's going to be hard to suggests fixes as you will need to type.

When you installed the keyboard did you get the right options / did it work in the test

can you type ctrl+alt+F4 - should take you to a terminal, will let you know if its the GUI that's just not responding.

p.s. I had graphics issues once it was installed, not in the VM.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline psp83

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 16:40 »
The keyboard works in all my other Ubuntu VM's

All my keyboards are wireless usb  :( and none of them work in 10.04.

This is a known bug in VM as it says here : http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/keyboard-issues-with-ubuntu-lucid-10-04-and-vmware-workstation-7-0/

Searching the web, I found the answer on VMWare’s forum. User SGiff wrote, in part:

I found the :0-greeter.log file in /var/log/gdm had errors complaining about not find symbols for “U.S. English” keyboard layout in us keyboard file. A little grepping later finds “U.S. English” is set in /etc/default/console-setup.
<from original file>
XKBMODEL=”SKIP”
XKBLAYOUT=”us”
XKBVARIANT=”U.S. English”
XKBOPTIONS=”"

<changed to this, matching other linux installs>
XKBMODEL=”pc105″
XKBLAYOUT=”us”
XKBVARIANT=”"
XKBOPTIONS=”"

Reboot and keyboard now works at login.

And indeed it did. To login to the console, left click on the red “Shutdown” icon, then select “Console Login” from the drop down menu:

You dont get the console/terminal option in 10.04 when clicking on the shutdown icon! Any other way getting to the console/terminal ?

Offline psp83

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 16:42 »
oh yeh, when i first installed and it booted, it asked my login through the terminal, once i entered my username and password it took me to the login screen.

My keyboard worked on the first terminal screen after install. But as soon as it went to the GUI login, nothing on the keyboard works.

Offline SteveH

• New Registration
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 17:30 »
You can edit the 10.04 virtual disk by creating a new virtual machine or using a previously created one and attaching the 10.04 virtual disk as a secondary drive. In my case I created a new machine and loaded the 10.04 iso as a live Cd and was able to gedit /etc/default/console-setup on the secondary drive.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 20:43 »
Ah I see - looks like this version of ubuntu is a bit buggy. I misread your email before btw - I was thinking you were running it like normal and not in a VM.

The above should do the trick, though. Linux live cd's are great for fixing pesky problems, though its a shame you dont have a non wireless keyboard - technology eh!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline psp83

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 01:35 »
Go it working.

Did what you said, Attached as a virtual disk in Mint and then sudo nano /media/disk/etc/default/console-setup and changed the settings, Now I can type :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:20 by psp83 »

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum